Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Feb-2006, 17:10
Mille

Mood: Very thirsty
Advice : Which Paddock Stand ??

Hi folks,

It's probably been asked many times before (I've checked the forum posts and couldn't find anything specific) but I'd like to get hold of a rear paddock stand for my 2005 749 Dark (old style swing arm).

Can anyone recommend a specific make/model that's done the trick for them, rough cost, some of the reasons they chose that particluar one and where in West London area I could get hold of one?
I don't need anything too 'special' just something that will let me lift the rear wheel off the deck - safely !!

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom.

Jiminy
Old 22-Feb-2006, 17:19
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Ducati Performance/FG Stand?
Old 22-Feb-2006, 17:20
Big Twin

Abba stand...nothing better IMHO
Old 22-Feb-2006, 19:43
Big Twin

Got a DP stand for mine.
With the two sided ones being swing arm specific you should be able to pick up a secondhand one - although mine also fits the newer model swing arm.
Old 23-Feb-2006, 18:21
500SD

don't mean to sound like a numpty but is the stand for a 03 999r swing arm different to the one for the newer 04 999r spec arm?
Old 23-Feb-2006, 18:52
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Quote:
Originally posted by chillo
don't mean to sound like a numpty but is the stand for a 03 999r swing arm different to the one for the newer 04 999r spec arm?

That's my understanding as I was supplied with a stand for the cast arm not the alloy one for my R and it wouldn't lift the bike because of the bracing.

Eventually I got a replacement (Thanks Ducati UK) which uses the bobbins
Old 23-Feb-2006, 19:22
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Quote:
Originally posted by JPM

That's my understanding as I was supplied with a stand for the cast arm not the alloy one for my R and it wouldn't lift the bike because of the bracing.

Eventually I got a replacement (Thanks Ducati UK) which uses the bobbins

Mmmm. same here when I got the 999r fila. I just thought the previous owner had gave me the wrong stand. Didn't know that Ducati would swap it ... guess it's a bit late now, sold the bike but got the stand.

No doubt it will apprear for sale on an e-bay near you soon
Old 23-Feb-2006, 19:41
Big Twin

I have the stand from my original 04 999 with cast SA and tried it on my 06 999s - fits fairly well.
Old 23-Feb-2006, 19:46
Mille

Mood: don't do moody
JIminy - looks like JPM was supplied with the wrong stand? My 04 999r came supplied with a grey Ducati Performance stand to fit the bobbins already fitted, presumably due to the fact that the new bigger alloy swing arm was deemed an unsuitable shape for the alternative method of lifting the rear end - locating a cupped lift plate under each side of the swing arm. Previous/1st owner later replaced the Ducati alloy bobbins with a nice pair of R&G crash bobbins to the rear and although this required a slight widening of the paddock stand's lift width, still works very well.

In summary, with the new black 04 swingarm, would strongly recommend fitting bobbins if not already fitted as these will provide a more secure fix/lifting method. You will obviously need a bobbin equipped stand (ie hooks instead of lift plates). Although a tad more expensive, Harris always produce really good quality paddock stands. Micron also produce well engineered stands at slightly lower prices than Harris. Don't go cheap.. you get what you pay for!l

I have, however, after the same exact question was posted only a few weeks ago, just bought an Abba stand which somebody else has already endorsed on this thread - it will lift front and back as located below the centre of the bike although care needs to be taken that the fittings that are inserted into the front end of the swing arm do not damage the surrounding paint. Got the Abba at the Ali Pali bike show for £85, Micron rear was from memory about £40-45 whilst expect to pay around £ 50-55 for a Harris, but if going this route you will probably need to budget for a front stand at around the same cost. Abba is a good bit of kit and will be cheaper than buying front & back stands, also needing less storage space (and no, I do not have a commercial interest in any of the above companies!)

Hope that helps...Richard.
Old 06-Mar-2006, 13:25
Mille

Mood: Very thirsty
Richard,
Many thanks for your detailed response. Sorry for not replying sooner.

Had some fun and games identifying the fact that I have a grey (04?) double swing arm on the 749 Dark I've got. This does not have the threads in swing arm casting to screw bobbins into it . Shame really coz I really wanted to go for the bobbins style paddock stand, with hooks.

Anyway to cut a long story short I bought one of the Micron rear paddock stands from Infinity for £45, it's the one with the cup lift plates. It's a well engineered product.

In the absence of the bobbin screw threads on my swing arm I was wondering whether anyone made a 'bobbin bar' or rod that fits through the centre of the rear wheel, if that makes sense ? That way I could get the hook-kit for the Micron and use bobbins to lift the back end up rather than the cups which alway seem a bit precarious to me.

Any one know of such a kit ?

Jiminy