Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 10-Mar-2006, 08:16
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by Gbyte666
Quote:
Originally posted by TORTUGA
yes its on one of those optimate units. It starts ok most of time but like I said about three times now it has tried to start and then died. I have repressed the starter and it turns over and then bang. It is fitted with a full 54mm Termi system with a termi ecu so it has the one touch starter unit.

Sorry to jump in on the thread, but I have just got a 749S with Termis and I guess ECU, ( I duno, how do I tell, I can tell on my 996 as I can see where the chip is in the rear end, as the ECU takes up most of the back lol and the fact that I have the standard chip stored safe) Not heard of a one touch starter unit, Can anyone tell me more on this. Sounds like my Mrs car, button ignigton start 1 press and relase. Any advantages ?

Craig
Switch the ignition on and press the starter button once.The bike should continue turning over untill she fires,...no need to hold the button down.
The ECU on 749/999 is under the battery and basically it controls all the functions on the bike.Pressing the starter button sends a signal down to the ECU to start the engine.
Old 10-Mar-2006, 09:43
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by KeefyB
Switch the ignition on and press the starter button once.The bike should continue turning over untill she fires,...no need to hold the button down.
The ECU on 749/999 is under the battery and basically it controls all the functions on the bike.Pressing the starter button sends a signal down to the ECU to start the engine.

As Keefy says, but it should do that as standard on the s - mine does.
The standard 999 does not (or did not on my o4 model) have the one touch start.
Old 10-Mar-2006, 10:55
Montjuic

Hi

Maybe this has already been said (not taken the time to read all the replys sorry). The bang I guess is unburnt fuel detonating i guess indicating a problem with the ignition circuit.

I would be supprised if it was a loose connection if this was not occurring before you layed the bike up. unless of course you have disturbed something during this time while cleaning or maintaining the bike.

I agree with the reply suggesting the fuel quality but you have refilled with fresh (is their an inline fuel filter?). I guess although it backfires it does start if so is it missfiring or running only on one cyclinder?

Check the obvious plugs, leads, crimped fuel hoses, air filter is not blocked and damp within connectors (WD40 will sort this) etc check one thing at a time and if its still a problem move on to the next.

At least do this before you consider asking your dealer to look at it.

Regards

DaveO
Old 10-Mar-2006, 23:01
500SD

Mood: a ducati is for life not just for christmas
its that dodgey petrol you get in bristol
Old 11-Mar-2006, 01:42
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
Thx Guys, I guess that if there is a problem IE it aint gona start for whatever reason the ECU time's it out and starts the cycle again when pressed agin ? Is this only standard on the 999S then not the 749 range or earlier models.

Craig
Old 11-Mar-2006, 08:10
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Thx Guys, I guess that if there is a problem IE it aint gona start for whatever reason the ECU time's it out and starts the cycle again when pressed agin ? Is this only standard on the 999S then not the 749 range or earlier models.

Craig
Yep,I think the ECU times out at 15 seconds.I thought the assisted starting was standard on all the 749/999's?
Old 11-Mar-2006, 20:52
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
Well I'll be dammed. just got 749S out and one touch and let go to the start button and sure enough it cranked over untill it started. I never knew that. I've been kepping my thumb on it untill it fired up before. lol
Thx Keefy & Alan

Craig

[Edited on 11-3-2006 by Gbyte666]
Old 11-Mar-2006, 21:42
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Talking about the backfire though, both my Dukes (although not 999's) will usually do exactly that if I dick about and try and start it with the throttle cracked open. If I leave the throttle alone they'll start without the backfire
Old 11-Mar-2006, 23:49
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by KeefyB
Quote:

Craig
Yep,I think the ECU times out at 15 seconds.I thought the assisted starting was standard on all the 749/999's?

Not standard on the standard.
At least it wasn't standard on the 04 standard model, not sure about the 06 standard.
Standard on the s model - all years I think.
Old 12-Mar-2006, 11:00
Mille

Mood: Great
My 04 749S has the one press start.