Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Jun-2006, 16:30
Big Twin

Unremovable sprocket nuts. Help!

I am wanting to remove both the front and rear sprockets on my 996r. The problem is they just will not budge at all! So far I have broken my breaker bar and ridden my bike to 6 different garages to see if they can loosen them and nobody as managed it yet. We have had long breaker bars with scaffold pole extensions, large snap on air impact wrenches, and even warming the nuts with the welding torch and trying both the previous methods. Nothing has worked so far and wanted to know what my options are. I am getting to the point where I am considering destroying the nuts just to get them off. Am put off by the risk of damage to gearbox output shaft and rear stub axle though.
Old 12-Jun-2006, 17:55
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Martin you've managed to remove an engine from a beetle with only a pick-axe.... this should be an easy challenge for you
Old 12-Jun-2006, 18:09
Big Twin

Jon it was actually a pick axe and a pair of mole grips!
Old 12-Jun-2006, 19:38
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTIN H
I am wanting to remove both the front and rear sprockets on my 996r. The problem is they just will not budge at all! So far I have broken my breaker bar and ridden my bike to 6 different garages to see if they can loosen them and nobody as managed it yet. We have had long breaker bars with scaffold pole extensions, large snap on air impact wrenches, and even warming the nuts with the welding torch and trying both the previous methods. Nothing has worked so far and wanted to know what my options are. I am getting to the point where I am considering destroying the nuts just to get them off. Am put off by the risk of damage to gearbox output shaft and rear stub axle though.
Clarkmeister had the same prob on his 748.The nut had to be destroyed to get it off.
Have you tried loosening the wheel side first?Sometimes it can tension the sprocket side,....not sure how tho,...but I have been told on good authority.
Old 12-Jun-2006, 20:02
Big Twin

Yes tried that KeefyB, had the wheel still on but the nut fingertight. Going to try another mates garage in the morning. Someone said to get the nuts Red hot first but I dont really fancy that with the new chain in situ!?
Old 12-Jun-2006, 21:06
Big Twin

are you trying in the right direction?- righty tighty, lefty loosey.
Old 12-Jun-2006, 21:19
Mille

Mood: Great
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest1
are you trying in the right direction?- righty tighty, lefty loosey.
or is it the other way round?????
Old 12-Jun-2006, 22:52
Bevel Head

Mood: Impatiently awaiting parts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by itexuk
or is it the other way round?????
On the Ducati Corse Mg swingarm it is
Old 13-Jun-2006, 07:55
Big Twin

There you go then Martin - have you been inadvertently tightening up the nuts?
Old 13-Jun-2006, 09:58
Big Twin

No I havent been tightening them, I had a good trawl round here and all the info says they are normal thread. Also can see a little bit of thread poking out the top of the nuts and it appears normal. However we did try the other way just to see if we could get any movement at all and there was none. I finally managed to get in touch with my fave mechanic and he said to order a pair of nuts as he will get them off but originals will be scrap. Only problem I can forsee is whenever he comes round to give me a hand him and his dog end up staying here for about 3 days!