Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-May-2009, 12:33
Mille

Mood: I need to get out and ride more!
ST2 Electrical Problems - HELP!!!

Picked up an ST2 a while back and have been having some intemittent problems with the electrics for which any advice would be greatly appreciated!

After a few weeks out on a ride and bike started running badly and ignition light came on. Broke down and recovered to local garage, new alternator.

All okay for a few months and then same symptons started took it back and they say the battery is knackered. However, last month the battery was dry and low but alternator seemed to be charging ok so assumed it would be okay.

Now Im getting paranoid as I want to take it away soon and am wondering if the regulator is on the blink - should I be registering 14.2 volts when its running? Seems a bit high to me and might explain why battery is cooked?

Anyway, as I say any advice would be really welcome, thanks.
Old 13-May-2009, 12:43
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
Sounds like a classic battery problem to me also check the connection to the rectifier relay as that can cause the same problem, 14.2 volts is fine.
Old 13-May-2009, 13:59
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Senna3s ST2 cooked the regulatorrectifier due to the extra load on the fuel pump caused by a partially blocked fuel filter.
So if your experiencing reg/rec problems its worth changing the filter

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 13-May-2009, 23:25
GTL

Mood: ten, nine, eight oh bu**er lets go!
My ST2 had a similar problem; presumed the battery had died as the charging system was showing 14+V but it then died again a couple of days later so replaced the voltage regulator and the problem never returned.

My conclusion was that the regulator was OK when cold but stopped charging when hot!
Old 14-May-2009, 10:45
Mille

Mood: I need to get out and ride more!
Thanks chaps, have already changed the fuel filter so rules that out I guess. Ive been very suspicious of the regulator as I have had varying readings off the battery when its running so I have been thinking of changing it. However, looked into this and there are several different types and I got very confused with the options but I need to look into this again.

Cheers.
Old 18-May-2009, 18:32
Mille
Bikes: 848

Mood: chuffed, got an 848 in the garage
Rectifier?

(using a mates login)
Following this thread - I think I have a rectifier problem on an ST2 (1997). The battery hasnt been charging well despite daily use and yesterday I noticed drop of power at high revs and occasional missfire. Then my ride was suddenly ended when the engine died completely and the battery didnt have the power to do anything except light the dash. I was very glad I renewed my RAC last month.
A call to Rich at Luigi Moto seemed to confimed my suspicion it is rectifier failure, and a call to Craig at Motorapido I realised being a 1997 ST2 I may be in for £200+ (the later, 1999, rectifier only £70) for a new one. Eletrexworld dont have any pattern parts at the moment ("it is being redesigned").
Any advice on whether this behaivour sounds like a rectifier would be appreciated. Plus any potential alternative to the £200+ cost for new one.
I am really hoping it isnt a generator failure, as this is nearly £700!!
The bike is in the Chippenham /Bath area
Cheers