Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-Nov-2006, 13:43
Mille

Ok i'll try to record it on my mobile
Old 14-Nov-2006, 13:14
Mille

Mood: twitching
probally not what you have but..
I had a bloody funny knocking noise comming from what sounded like the front of the bike..found out that the last person to put new wheels and tyres on the bike didnt do the rear nut up enough and the clip was the only thing holding it on..... me not best pleased ...
Old 14-Nov-2006, 16:00
500SD

Mood: YELLOW!!!
you can hear plenty if you stick a rag in each exhaust pipe end for a few seconds while you have a listen (sounds like a washing machine full of scrap iron IMHO)
Old 14-Nov-2006, 16:12
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
I had a loose flywheel last year on the 996 .Rode up the M1 cruising at 90 for 100 miles and I recone it was loose a long time before that. The noise was not that distinguishable as it was progressive but when the bike was checked on a service sure enough the fly was loose. I would say its vibrated more and the noise came from "within",with the noisy clutch most of these "noises"are hidden and difficult to pin down.4D
Old 14-Nov-2006, 16:17
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by CipiVTS
Exhaust i doubt, cause the sound is metallic (not steel / steel like but more alluminium knocking type) and comming definatelly from the engine (front).

Because they removed the airbox, i assumed they probably forgot to fit an air filter (BMC) so i checked yesterday. Hopefully everything was in place, only the top cylinder air funnel is moving and doesn't have an o-ring

I would say that's your answer. Let's consider the facts...

"Oi...how did Lloyd Grossman get in here".

Aluminium type tinkling sound, coming from the front, only happens at certain revs, intake trumpet loose and without o-ring.

I would say it's the intake trumpet resonating at certain revs. Above or below those revs the induction frequency sort of keeps it pinned

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 15-Nov-2006, 17:08
Mille

Hi all, thanks for your answers, but i guess it's not that.

after leaving the bike outside for 3 days without starting it (temp ~10 deg C) i started it on Friday last week and i had to stop it immediatelly because of a very loud metallic knock coming from the engine. Left it for 1 minute, started it again and the same thing. The 3rd time started ok without any sound... The 4th time it did the knocking again and i decided to let it run, after 5 secs it dissapeared and was ok afterwards. Took it in the same day to Ducati and left it there for a brake check up and cylinder balancing. They started it this morning (after 4 days not started; kept inside temp 17 deg C) and the same loud knocking sound as last week appeared.

I wasn't there but the guys called me to listen for it. The 3rd time they started it the sound dissapeared after a 5-10secs they warmed it up did the cylinder balancing and waited for me to come to listen it. Of course when i came to the service there was no knocking...

What can it be?
Their initial assumption is that it's a piston bolt and the piston is knocking the cylinder head or the valves.... but they didn't crack it open yet

Help!
Old 15-Nov-2006, 17:23
Mille

Mood: Built for comfort, not speed
Take it the cambelt has'nt jumped a tooth? I suppose that the noise would be permanent rather than intermittent
Old 15-Nov-2006, 17:53
Mille

Or can it be the main bearings?
Old 20-Nov-2006, 19:39
Mille

hello, anyone?
Old 20-Nov-2006, 21:24
DSC Club Member
Mille
Bikes: 748 sp,748 bip , 600ss dd,speed triple.

Mood: neeeeeeed piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie
Talking

every time i ride mine i hear a different noise so ive now givin up tryin to decide where its comin from(probaly why i lost me stand last year).