Ducati Sporting Club UK
DSC & Ducati Events
Local, national & worldwide Ducati related event notices

Old 10-Jul-2012, 14:14
DSC Club Member
Mille
Bikes: 848 Evo ‘Pikes Peak’, 748S, 200 Single

The question is then, how do we improve the number of people prepared to book early enough onto a Ducati only track day so as to keep it Ducati only?
Old 10-Jul-2012, 14:43
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Shows there must be a changing focus of the member base then, as it was always the big thing (or certainly seemed to be for the first few years of my membership which started 05 I think)

Be interesting to know where the growth is coming from, and what makes peolpe part with their cash. And the more known the more it can be exploited to keep growing. I'm not suggesting btw it shared on the board; it may be someone has found a facebook nugget and wouldn't want to give it away
Old 10-Jul-2012, 14:48
500SD
Bikes: 996 Bip

Mood: CITIUS EST MELIUS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth
We took James under our wing and had quite an interesting evening at the local curry house and then to a very quirky local pub. The Bateman's beer was delicious although the pub was mildy reminiscent of the "Slaughtered Lamb" out of American Werewolf.

Anyway, good to meet you James and as we left before you got back from your last session, I hope you had a good day and a safe ride back.

The day was a good one and really enjoyed it. Only down side for me was the complete knob who tried to "stuff it under me" at the hairpin (japanese track day only bike sporting a team name) and nearly took my front end out - I'll say no more but it does underscore the importance of getting the membership to come along and keep the day as a Ducati only day as owners seem to take a little more care.

Well done to the organisers and to everyone who made it a great day.

Thanks indeed, I really enjoyed the day and the company. Excellent curry and beers, albeit a rather 'interesting' evening..........

It would be great to see a recognised DSC presence, marqee, JHP fettling tent etc........great day though.

Best regards,

James
Old 10-Jul-2012, 14:50
500SD
Bikes: 996 Bip

Mood: CITIUS EST MELIUS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionicle
I felt sorry for 007 who told us that you were supposed to be bringing his food for the day Ant, but was not going to make it due to illness, you owe him me thinks.

Nice to see some DSC members there and i personaly had a great day,

Thanks indeed Bionicle, and thank you also for the track tips, really appreciate your feedback.

Got home safely, although late and very very wet! Van or trailer next time....

Best regards,

James
Old 10-Jul-2012, 14:53
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull
The question is then, how do we improve the number of people prepared to book early enough onto a Ducati only track day so as to keep it Ducati only?

If I knew that, I would have a different job!

But I get your point. We've pushed the trackday through the website, Twitter, Facebook, Pronto and dealers. Club MSV also promoted the event through their channels. I don't know what else we can do!

Last year was a saturday but the uptake still wasn't good. We were limited on the days we could have this year and the one we chose was the only one which made sense given all the factors we had to consider.

Maybe we need to change the venue? Ducati UK have sold out their trackday at Donington which demands a £20 premium (at £169) over a generic trackday there (£149 Full GP Circuit, 105dB on 28th Aug, 3 groups).

We have a large membership base and should easily be able to fill a trackday, so I'd be interested to know why people didn't attend, and then maybe we can address that.

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 10-Jul-2012, 15:54
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Hence I ask if it can be identified where the growth has come from. May be the trackday brigade have passed on to racing or happy to jump in with the DUK or combination of both.

I didnt go for three reasons; racing this week altho I consided changing my test day to do the trackday instead if my mates were; my mates weren't see excuse 1; we like to do 2 days as a group especially so far away so the 10 or so mainly DSC members I go with can have a good couple of nights and days

Back on thread...have seen a couple of bits elsewhere and looks like a mixed but good day
Old 10-Jul-2012, 17:18
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
Hence I ask if it can be identified where the growth has come from.

We don't have anything on the form to indicate where/how the member found out about the DSC, and we can't do it with the online PayPal payments either.

However, we can determine the difference between online payments (which are usually a sign of either finding or using the website) and mailed payments (of which quite a lot of members don't use the website).

We have done a lot more recently to attend events where we can recruit more members; the Excel show in Feb, promoting through Facebook and Twitter, attending DUK events such as Silverstone, and recently the VMCC 1000 bikes festival. None of these have cost us money but time is given up by those who attend to man the stands and chat to people.

Would we consider paying money for advertising? I would say no but it's not my decision alone. We have to be very careful that we are operating on a very tight budget right now to keep the members supplied with "value add" items, so diverting money from this has to have a good return with memberships and I don't think advertising alone will do it.

As discussed with the MT, the recent World Presidents Meeting that I attended was very helpful in determining our place in the market, justifying why we exist as a club and also whether or not we provide good value to our members. You will read all about it in the next Pronto, but suffice to say that we have a long-term action plan which will be supported by Ducati at the Factory and will be of major benefit to all members of the Club, and this will definitely help drive membership in the future.

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 10-Jul-2012, 17:21
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

...and also to swerve this thread back on topic, I think we will be having a vote on the next trackday; not only if there will be one but also on the location and also the preferred day of the week and month of the year!

Old 10-Jul-2012, 18:21
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
Hence I ask if it can be identified where the growth has come from. May be the trackday brigade have passed on to racing or happy to jump in with the DUK or combination of both.

I didnt go for three reasons; racing this week altho I consided changing my test day to do the trackday instead if my mates were; my mates weren't see excuse 1; we like to do 2 days as a group especially so far away so the 10 or so mainly DSC members I go with can have a good couple of nights and days

Back on thread...have seen a couple of bits elsewhere and looks like a mixed but good day

Thinking back to when I first joined the club..... many of the (then) stalwarts of the club went on to racing, and some then on to other things. Others have drifted away for a variety of reasons.

Looking at the market place - there are fewer trackday companies now - does this mean the boom in trackdays has passed? Less people do trackdays on road bikes, the dedicated ones moving up to proper track bikes - more often Japanese for cost?

Finally - as Antony mentioned - location. I know many people on here think Cadwell is all things to all men, and it is a low-cost venue... but it's a pig to get to and lacks facilities - plus everyone has been there multiple times... Time for a change? Somewhere more central with better facilities for the average club road-rider who wants to ride his pride and joy to the circuit on the day and not get soaked in a typical English summer....

Or I could be missing it completely...
Old 10-Jul-2012, 18:31
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
Thanks indeed Bionicle, and thank you also for the track tips, really appreciate your feedback.

Best regards,

James

You took tips from Paul

Craig