Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-Nov-2005, 21:17
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.
996 Engine Build. Update.

Well here goes,

I while ago I posted up about rebuilding a 996 lump that I had purchased for a good price. On first inspection the engine was in good nick. But alas, on a full strip down I have found out a bit more about it.

The engine is now completely stripped down. The cases are apart. The gearbox etc, crank is in good working order.

The pistons and barrels are in excellent condition, along with the heads including the valves and cams. So far so good.

Now for the not so good!
The small ends on the conrods may have some wear but that is not the end of the world. What has stopped the project at the minute is?.........................wait for it...............the dreaded rockers.

It seems that I need 7. So at the minute, I am at a cross roads as to what to do with this engine. I am not that bothered about the initial outlay as this was an ex race engine and for what I picked it up for, I was expecting a bit of rough and smooth. But 7 rockers??

Anyhow, after close inspection of these rockers it appears 4 are knackered due to chrome flaking and 3 are due to incorrect shim clearances, or not being set up right.

So although this little project was something to tide me over in the winter, I may be taking longer to build this engine than first thought.
I could go down the route of saying, sod the expense and turn it into an SPS type engine Either that or sell off the good parts for spares. What gets me is the rest of the engine is in really good condition. Just the rockers letting it down. Oh and the extra expense.!!

One other option open to me is borrowing the good rockers that I have in my 853 but I was intending in selling that lump so wanted to leave it alone.

Any old road up. At least I now the insides of a 996 lump and have some nice paper weights at the moment. only time and money will tell what happens next. And like I have already stated, the engine did not cost me a fortune and because of this, I took a gamble on it. Most bits are very good. Just not the other bits that shall remain namless now.

Updates to follow...........I hope.

DC
Old 17-Nov-2005, 22:11
Dibble

aaaaaaaah, the dreaded rockers ..... bad luck DC