Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-Sep-2005, 21:37
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Most organisors won't let you our UNLESS you have a road licence-a race licence on it's own is no use. The only exception is if they have an ACU only (eg race) group. Therefore if you lost your road licence there would be no more trackdays until you got it back.

John
Old 08-Sep-2005, 21:41
Big Twin

Ok Ok you only have to say it once
Old 16-Sep-2005, 01:10
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Just recieved a well written and measured reply from Phil (I guess we all know its him now - lol).
There were obviously other issues going on with the day that were not apparent....

I'll post my question and the reply exactly as they were written:

"Hello Phil,

I wanted to make some comments about the TD at Cadwell last Wednesday, I was in the inters group.

Firstly, I'm sad to say that its the first time I have ever felt unsafe on a trackday - I think this is much more a reflection on some of the riders in the inters group than of the organisation on the day.

I'm sure you remember having to call the inters group in and rightly having a word with everyone over riding standards - I myself was shocked to be overtaken more than once by someone going 30 - 40 mph faster than me but overtaking me only 6 inches away at the end of the start/finish straight!!!
However the general lack of respect and lack of attention for flags was disturbing as well, more than once I was surprised to a lady rider cutting in front of riders into the chicane and then later - various riders overtaking while a yellow flag was waved.

Two specific questions I would like to raise:
1) The briefing being held in the holding area - in my opinion lead to too many distractions, I certainly found it difficult to concentrate on the briefing. Was there a reason for not holding the briefing in the club house?

2) This was the first TD I've been to where all riders in a group were sent out in one big group. I cant help but think the problems of the day could of been lessened by perhaps sending batches of 10 riders out 20 or 30 seconds apart or even spliting the group in half.

I hope you take these comments in the constructive sense that I have tried write them.

Regards - Frank L. Smith"

===========================================

Frank
Many thanks for your comments and I will try to address them.
It seems that all three groups had riders ignoring the flags. I myself asked for feedback from the circuit and sadly I'm still waiting for it. I pointed out to the Duty Manager that according to their contract, they are in charge of the activities on the circuit once the bikes leave the holding area and that if I'm informed of a particular riders behaviour, I can address the situation. It seems it is too much bother for the marshals to report back to Circuit Control or for Circuit Control to liaise with me so that the day can run safer.
I take on board your comments about the briefing. I had a walk into the club house and found that by 8.15 it was already very warm, we also had 105 riders attend the event. The combination of heat & bodies, I feel would have lead to a lack of concentration and possibly more incidents, however, with the track being cleaned and non-riders creating noise, I have decided that regardless of the items above, I will be holding the brief in the club house from now on.
With reference the group being sent out in one line or a staggered start. If you run a staggered start with 35 riders, the danger is that you still have bunching in the tight areas, but also, it only takes a slight delay and you end up with some riders on their out-lap and others on their 2nd lap. When this happened on another organisers event, they had a major injury.
All in all, it wasn't a good day from our point of view. From what we saw, the riding was selfish, the flags were ignored and some people think they are racing. For Greg to say something in public meant that he thought his safety was going to be compromised and he was glad when the event came to an end.

We will always try to run a safe day, however we do need the help of the circuit staff and feedback from our customers.

I will print this email off and show it to the circuit management when we go back in October.

My final comment is that next year our events list will be greatly reduced as we have decided to avoid those circuits that don't give us feedback. I expect to run about 30 events at Anglesey, Croft & Mallory, with all of the MSV circuits & Donington not being considered till I feel they are prepared to give me the feedback I ask for.

Kind Regards
Phil Darbyshire
www.tracktimepromotions.co.uk
Old 16-Sep-2005, 15:23
500SD

I am on a trackday at croft on Monday with TTP

My first was with them as well- again at croft about 8 weeks ago

The briefing did make me pap my pants tbh !!!!

I am booked on a load more on various sundays with hottrax i think at cadwell donny and silverstone

I thought the organisation was ok but i was nearly (deliberately) knocked off by very late inside braking at tower on my very first proper run by another rider because i overtook him on the outside at the chicanes after the starting straight

no word was said (including by me!)

all in all though i thought they were good and i am returning!
Old 16-Sep-2005, 16:27
GTL

Quote:
Originally posted by loverobot
...but i was nearly (deliberately) knocked off by very late inside braking at tower on my very first proper run by another rider because i overtook him on the outside at the chicanes after the starting straight

Now, that's scary! I've had a few people "close pass" me, but I've never felt that it was anything other than a faster rider making, at worst, a slight error in judgement. The idea that some t055er might pass deliberately dangerously, just because his nose was put out of joint earlier in a lap is a little worrying.

I found the response by TTP very interesting... I've never (touch-wood) felt threatened by other bikes at any track-day I've done, but have felt that, once or twice, fast riders have remained in the Novice group when they should have been moved up. A case in point was Dave's charity evening...there was a bloke in the Novice/Inter group on full wets who was tearing round the place. Not to say he was riding dangerously but, if its pi55ing with rain, everyone but you has got road tyres, why would you choose to ride in a group with novices in? I guess, thinking about it, it is obvious that, in the first instance, its the job of the Marshalls (employed by the circuit) to suggest riders are shifted, so maybe the particular marshalls working on the day have as much influence as the operator?
Old 16-Sep-2005, 17:58
500SD

in the novice group i was in people had trackbikes and tyre warmers!!!!!

the guy who tried to 'have me' was on a supermoto

i was pretty pants to start with but by the end sesh had improved enough (still pants mind!)to be able to take him on the outside on nearly every corner, drop back to let him past and then do it again and again - at the hairpin onto the straight i did him again gave him the finger and left him behind lol
Old 17-Sep-2005, 12:53
500SD
Bikes: 848 EVO & Multi 1000ds

Mood: When's the sun coming out
[quote]Originally posted by loverobot
in the novice group i was in people had trackbikes and tyre warmers!!!!!

[Edited on 17-9-2005 by Mello-Yellow]
Old 17-Sep-2005, 12:56
500SD
Bikes: 848 EVO & Multi 1000ds

Mood: When's the sun coming out
It was the same at Oulton on wednesday, First two sessions wet. 2 lads on gixer 1000's with full wets, then when it dried up they had slicks and tyre warmers on, Bit much i.m.o. for the novice session.
Old 18-Sep-2005, 12:00
Ducati Corse

But what is wrong with a person who might well be on their very first trackday and has got lots of money buying a set of wets, slicks and tyre warmers? Does that make them a fast rider? Does the level of kit you have influence which group you should go in?

I've got tyre warmers etc and i can just about hold my own in inters on DSC days. On other days and at unfamiliar tracks i would not be happy in inters.
Old 18-Sep-2005, 14:38
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Likewise I've taken my trackday bike into novice groups before (and will be at Donny) just to save my Duke incase anything nasty happens.

I agree - tyrewarmers seems a bit excessive for novice group but I wouldnt blame anyone for trying wet tyres when its 'chucking it' down.

Frantic Frank