Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 16-Nov-2005, 11:13

Throttle problems

Has anyone experienced a problem with their throttle just being to all or nothing? what I am trying to describe is that especialy when you are moving slowly in a low gear and say going around a roundabout you need to be able to roll the throttle on smoothly.

My throttle is like an on/off switch in these situations thus making it very difficult to ride in traffic etc...... I have tried adjusting the throttle cable for more free play but it was close to the end of its adjustment anyway (I am not sure if this would have made much difference anyway).

Are their any other adjustments? or has anyone any suggestions as to what may be causing this behaviour?

The bike is a 748s import.

Thanks
Old 16-Nov-2005, 11:22
Big Twin

I would assume that is more ofa fueling issue.

What kind of set-up are you running (pipes/chip)...this is the kind of thing that can be sorted/smoothed out with proper setting up by someone who knows. Is it due a service soon...maybe they can take a look at it then

Also check other things like the chain for condition and tightness/tight spots. A bad chain can really cause snatchy throttle control. Its amazing how much smoother a bike runs with new chain and sprockets that are adjusted correctly.
Old 16-Nov-2005, 13:03
GTL
Bikes: Ducati 888, Suzuki RG500, Triumph Preunit

Mood: On the up
Are you sure this is not just a "getting used to a big 4 stroke twin" issue? I certainly found that going from the RG to the 888 was a bit of a culture shock on roundabouts and tight corners I guess its also possible you have a faulty throttle position sensor. Might be worth checking there is a smooth increase in voltage from it as the throttle is opened.

Keith
Old 16-Nov-2005, 20:03

Thanks both,

I am running 45mm open Termi's with a Ducati performance chip to suit.

It may well be the getting used to issue as this is the first four stroke I have owned after 17 years of two stroke abuse, maybe I just need to ride it a bit more. I think that it is a bit of a culture shock as I am used to the revs having to be within a band the width of a nats foreskin to get anywhere! therefore I am in first gear when sometimes I should be in 2nd however I will check the throttle position sensor as you say.

Cheers