Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 29-Jan-2006, 17:03
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: R1200RT F800GS. Hopefully another Ducati soon

Fairing Fixings

I have just put my fairing back on having had to strip half of it off to get to the battery, it will have to come off again in a few weeks time when I wire in the comms kit and so Im getting a bit brassed off with the rubber well nuts. Two broke when putting the top section back on, so my thinking is to replace them then convert to Dzus. I heard somewhere that it is a bitch of a job to convert, have any of you guys done it ? If you convert how many screws with well nuts are you left with ? What size well nuts are they ?
Old 29-Jan-2006, 17:06
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
I looked at doing this on my old ST2, but it was gonna be too big a job so so I accepted that I would need to keep a spare supply of wellnuts and grease the screws before fitting. Incidentally, you can get wellnuts from most roofing suppliers I believe. Nelly at Cornerspeed got mine and I think that's where they came from.
Old 29-Jan-2006, 19:12
Ducati Corse

With practice (and you will get lots of practice!!) you should be able to get the whole fairing off in under 15 minutes and back on again in around 25. Well that's my best time anyhow! You can get the battery out by just taking off the belly pan and one of the big side panel fixings at the back.
The dzus conversion i believe is non reversable and i'm not convinced that the looks of it would suit the ST bikes.
Old 29-Jan-2006, 21:28
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
The wellnuts are M5 around the fairing joins and M6 underneath and the one each side on the frame mount.
I buy them in bulk from a fasteners supplier. As Yeti says, they are used in the building game

The DZUS conversion is, as Rockhopper says, a lot of hassle, and in truth, after some practice not that big a time saving. The problem is that the nose still has to come off first to remove the sides.
I'd fit new well nuts, use stainless fasteners and assemble with plenty of copa-slip.
Old 29-Jan-2006, 23:51
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally posted by nelly
The wellnuts are M5 around the fairing joins and M6 underneath and the one each side on the frame mount.
I buy them in bulk from a fasteners supplier. As Yeti says, they are used in the building game

The DZUS conversion is, as Rockhopper says, a lot of hassle, and in truth, after some practice not that big a time saving. The problem is that the nose still has to come off first to remove the sides.
I'd fit new well nuts, use stainless fasteners and assemble with plenty of copa-slip.

I dont suppose you could tell me how long the well nuts are are as mine are so bunched up its tricky to tell.

Do you fit new well nuts as a matter of course each time you re-fit a fairing ?
Old 30-Jan-2006, 00:02
Ducati Corse

Can't remember exactly off hand. The M5 are about 10mm long and the M6 about 15mm.
I only replace if neccessary. "if it ain't broke" and all that............

If you're struggling to find them, drop me a mail and i'll sort you a set out if it'll help.
Old 30-Jan-2006, 00:08
Ducati Meccanica

If they are used by builders for roofing etc, does that mean they are metric coarse (std) as opposed to fine ?
Old 30-Jan-2006, 00:15
Ducati Corse

Yep. The fairing fasteners are standard pitch. I'm not sure but the ST screen may be also??
The screen and fairing screws on the 748/996 are metric fine though.
Old 30-Jan-2006, 00:31
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Fairing & screen fasteners on the ST are 5mm standard pitch apart from the 6 x 6mm ones on the lower fairings.
Old 12-Mar-2006, 09:47
Ducati Meccanica

I eventually tracked down a fastener supplier in Birmingham and bought a pack, much cheaper than buying them in packs of six from E Bay.