Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 27-Sep-2005, 21:35
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
Ground Anchor

What's folks opinion regarding ground anchors?

Should you bolt them into your concrete floor or are they better mounted into the wall?
Anyone have any experience of how secure (or not) they are?
Anecdotes, opinions and wild speculation all equally welcome!

Cheers!
Old 27-Sep-2005, 21:37
Ducati Corse

I've never heard of anyone bolting one to a wall. It would be fairly easy for someone to remove a few bricks if they really wanted your bike. Best to bolt it to a nice solid concrete floor.
Old 27-Sep-2005, 21:43
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
I think the idea behind wall mounting is that you can keep the chain off the floor, thus removing a nice solid surface to bash the chain or lock on. But I take Mr Rockhopper's point.
Old 27-Sep-2005, 21:55
Dibble

http://www.rhinodevelopments.co.uk/

Defiant Ground Anchor - £120 fully fitted for you ......

Cracking bit of kit, myself and most of my mates have them .........
Old 27-Sep-2005, 23:07
Ducati Corse

Point taken Loz, but if the anchor is designed correctly and you keep the chain or whatever off the floor then it'll be loads better than wall mounting. If you give a typical garage wall a few bangs with a lump hammer then the bricks will start to loosen, nick the bike along with the anchor!!
Old 27-Sep-2005, 23:14
500SD

Mood: YELLOW!!!
When I use a ground anchor I keep the chain off the floor by passing the chain through the frame, then winding the slack length around and around the other run of the chain. The whole thing is nice and tight, and as it's off the floor, should be a bit more difficult to attack.
Old 28-Sep-2005, 00:11
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
mines bolted to wall in a tight corner high enough of floor so chain is kept off floor, the wall is the house wall to so they wont take out the bricks

only the front wheel locked to it but its so tight in the corner they would have trouble carrying it out + i got 5 locks in total, chain to anchor and squire disc lock on front wheel, and abus chain on back with padlock on drive chain also lock on door over kill ? lol

Oh yeah and a meta alarm
Old 28-Sep-2005, 00:19
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee1980
mines bolted to wall in a tight corner high enough of floor so chain is kept off floor, the wall is the house wall to so they wont take out the bricks

only the front wheel locked to it but its so tight in the corner they would have trouble carrying it out + i got 5 locks in total, chain to anchor and squire disc lock on front wheel, and abus chain on back with padlock on drive chain also lock on door over kill ? lol

Oh yeah and a meta alarm

like your style. to get to my bike, one has to....

first of all get past a security gate locked with a squire CEN6 lock, then they'll find that the duc is locked through the frame to a 6" RSJ fire escape support by an almax 16mm chain and squire CEN6 lock. the front wheel has a xena alarmed disc lock and the bike is fitted with a cat 1 alarm. parked across the back wheel of the duc and therefore blocking it in is a bandit 600 which is locked through the frame to the back wheel of the duc with a 13mm english chain and lock and the front wheel of the bandit also has the same xena disc lock as the duc. oh yeah, and the whole setup is under motion sensitve security lights and motion sensitive CCTV coverage and is overlooked by numerous nosey neighbours who are at home day and night

oh the joys of living in london.
Old 28-Sep-2005, 00:41
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
Hehe are we paranoid lol, I know mines insured but the inconvenience and stuff which cant be replaced with money is important to me all the personal touches etc.

I see to many bikes just left for the taking just makes it easy for the thieves
Old 28-Sep-2005, 00:54
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee1980
Hehe are we paranoid lol, I know mines insured but the inconvenience and stuff which cant be replaced with money is important to me all the personal touches etc.

I see to many bikes just left for the taking just makes it easy for the thieves

i had my previous 748 stolen from the pavement outside my houise in april after only 3 weeks of ownership and before i'd had a ramp built in order to enable me to get the bikes into my back yard. the bike was insured and i got a full settlement with no quibbles (thanks carole nash), but taking into account the excess, the loss of a full year's premium, and the cover, locks, alarm etc the theft cost me about £1500 - hence the paranoia and the current security overkill.