Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 15-Nov-2005, 17:40
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
Don't mess with Shazaam - he knows best
Old 15-Nov-2005, 17:42
Big Twin

I remember Evo magazine testing Optimax about 4 or 5 years ago they did report better running and more mpg. If I remember correctly they ran a V8 Jaguar XJR on it and said at the time that you had to run the car on the stuff for a few thousand miles before it started to improve things. At that time I had to use super unleaded in the car I had then (Evo 6) and cant honestly say I noticed any difference!? However as the nearest Shell station was miles away it was not run exclusivley on Optimax.
Old 15-Nov-2005, 17:50
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Shazaam - White Papers delivered on the end of cruise missiles......

Nice work.
Old 15-Nov-2005, 20:10
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
Chr*st

That's like the 2 hour lecture a scientist neighbour gave me when I said jokingly that a Tornado flew by wire so all you had to do to bring it down was cut the wire!

Shazam mate - I'll read that again tomorrow when I'm more awake

P.S.

My Ducati rattles and knocks that much that I've got no chance of hearing it ping

[Edited on 15-11-2005 by philthy]
Old 15-Nov-2005, 21:16
Mille

Mood: He's not happy {:o( He's back at sea!
"These additives were initially tri-ethyl-lead that presented health and environment risks so many countries have outlawed their use (with some exceptions for aviation fuel). These additives are intended to actually slow/delay combustion slightly."

"Most modern engines are designed with a moderate compression ratio that doesn’t need leaded fuel and will run as well or BETTER on low octane fuel. Remember, it’s easier to ignite a low octane fuel than a high octane fuel and that the higher octane fuel burns slower."

"Some engines are designed with high octane fuel requirements. Forced induction (turbo-charged and super-charged) engines have higher cylinder pressures so they require higher octane gas."

Lead was introduced into petrol not only to stop knocking but to lubricate the valve seats as well. Also note, TEL (Tetra Ethyl Lead) is a heavy metal compound with a short aerial time span. It was superceded because it was shown to have a supposed detrimental effect to childrens IQ. It was replaced by Benzene one of the most dangerous carcenogens known to man, that does not come to earth quickly and is actually absorbed through the skin. As they say in the USof A, go figure. Most probably cost in actual fact.
So when you fill your bikes up wear those plastic gloves supplied for filling diesel.

I think I'm right in stating that most Ducatis have a CR around the 10.5 to 11.5:1 ratio so would gain from a higher grade. My old bus takes 3 people to push start it in 3rd, I dunno what the comp ratio is but it's bloo*y high and it does make a difference sticking a higher octane juice in it. Enough to stay with a new R1 up the straight at Croft. A mate of mine had the old Laverda Formula Mirage 1200 triple. It would not run at all on std unleaded.

Turbocharged cars have a reduced compression ratio because they are forced induction. More like around 7:1 or so.
They can practically run on paraffin rather than the other way round. If they ran standard compression ratios they would reduce the engine to **** in seconds under load.

In short and in general the higher the compression ratio the higher the octane needed, although modern engine management has minimised knock and pinking so a higher CR can be used for the same grade of petrol than of old.

I also think I am right in saying our low grade fuel is actually higher than in the USofA; 87 for the US. Wos ours 90 something?

See this:

http://chemistry.about.com/gi/dynami...od4 %3Fsp=ink

Ains.
Old 15-Nov-2005, 22:28
Big Twin

Mood: I've just ordered a new bike and its a ..
Eh,
I've noticed a differance,
But only in my wallet..........
Old 20-Nov-2005, 00:28
Mille

Mood: poon tang
fook.well you never no. shamz one smart dude
Old 20-Nov-2005, 11:43
500SD

Mood: Cool as **** !
Theres a Shell optimax Extreme !,available abroad,thats 100.5 octane !,its apparntley got ethanol in it,as yet,shell have no plans to bring it here !
its widely available in Australia etc !

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=au-en&FC2=/au-en/html/iwgen/shell_for_motorists/fuels/zzz_lhn.html&FC3=/au-en/tailored/shell_for_motorists/fuels/extreme/about_extreme.html

[Edited on 20-11-2005 by Simon Reed]
Old 20-Nov-2005, 12:30
Mille

Mood: counting
doesnt seem that 'widely available '
i dont think i could live with the need to find a petrol station that sells the premium grade fuel , or are octane boosers good enough to make do with scum petrol sorry regular gasoline
Old 20-Nov-2005, 12:32
GTL
Bikes: 998R, Panigale S

Serious comment: the additives in the Australian petrol are the result of a deal between public health people and Shell to discourage petrol sniffing which is a huge problem over there.

the fact that it makes your Holden V8 go better is just a happy coincidence....