Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 28-Apr-2006, 08:58
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
Quote:
Originally posted by bradders
ask AK, he was behind me when I was tagged on the leg....good job I couldnt find them really coz incandescent and rage come to mind, completely lost it when I got back in pits and had a look round paddock, couldnt spot which ducati leathers on a day full of ducati leathers...!!

Ak ain't here right now dude... it's just me and you...

Question time then...

Describe it in detail, and what you think happend and why ?

Were you on a slow line ? did you change early/late ? could Matey have just cocked up ? was it really that close ?

What rules would you like imposed to make sure it didn't happen again ?

At Oulton i had a fair bit of this where my bike being underpowered compared to the 1000's i simply had to make a few moves that i normally wouldn't make. I was losing 15-20 lengths down the straight after Cascades and sitting on their wheels into the hairpin... What can you do ?

Is it possible you were slow in the corners but using the big horses of the SPS on the straight bits and simply holding the guy up ?
Old 28-Apr-2006, 08:58
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by bradders
oh, and Kelly cut thru the inside at the bottom of the mountain and it was no problem, nice & clean altho close, so it wasnt the act of being overtaken which I threw toys out over

what was the difference between the two... was it the 'contact' ?
Old 28-Apr-2006, 09:58
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
following a slower rider, probably peeing all off behind because I didnt want to shove up the inside of him and spoil his day both time...fisrt at the bottom of mountain I had to brake and chnage my kline, nearly ended on the grass, then second over the mountain smacked my knee as they went around the outside (cafe side) right by the cafe and slammed it accross me again bit o shock at a whack on the knee and stand it up braking

anyway, thats old news so no need drag over that again...havent done one since tho but been chatting to Kev about the dsc one this year, like the idea of following him round and getting some advice, think I am fairly quick on the road so need to convert that to the track, maybe just go racing is the best way

[Edited on 28-4-2006 by bradders]
Old 28-Apr-2006, 10:40
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
If you have a problem on a trackday speak to the organisers, if you don't how are they gonna know you are not happy??

Yes there should be TDO staff or marshalls watching whats going on but they can't be expected to see everything from every angle.

I've been hit from behind on a day before now causing damage to my bike on a non commercial Trackday, but the rider responsible was good enough to own up and take responsibilty. I was well mad but I was certain it was an error of judgement not some hot headed I'm all right jack on a hot lap riding.

A good TDO makes it 100% clear that there is collective reponsibility for safety on track. If you can't do it safely don't do it.

Sure mistakes happen, sure it can get frustrating behind riders that are slow on corners but fast on the straights but everyone should be there with a mind to enjoy the day and leave uninjured at the end of it.

Ray
Old 28-Apr-2006, 10:44
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
Whenever I see threads about bad experiences on track days it reinforces what I already think about them - you're taking a risk that, through no fault of your own, you could end up seriously injured, or worse. And I have to say that DSC days are not necessarily a haven of safety. There will always be riders who want to pass in whatever way they can, rather than worrying about what effect they may be having on the passee. The two most unnerving passes I've experienced were on DSC days. Other than that, I've been on half a dozen days with No Limits and had no trouble whatsoever.

The problem as I see it is that the very act of getting on a fast bike and being shown a track makes some people mentally incapable of riding considerately. Admittedly, they are few and far between but you simply have to be aware of that fact if you're going to do trackdays.

It's still a lot less dangerous than the road and a lot more fun. My biggest fear is being wiped out from behind and I think I'm usually, but not always, on the racing line, maybe not going as fast as people think I should on a 996, but if a rider's good at cornering there should be loads of room to overtake, on the corner or on the straight. If not, stay back till it's safe to pass. An experienced rider putting in a perfectly safe pass can still be intimidating for me and I have to take that into account when deciding whether or not to book trackdays. It's a calculated risk. However, I know the only proper place to ride my bike fast is on the track so, if I'm going to enjoy my riding, that's where I'll have to go.
Old 28-Apr-2006, 12:59
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Quote:
Originally posted by weeksy2

At Oulton i had a fair bit of this where my bike being underpowered compared to the 1000's i simply had to make a few moves that i normally wouldn't make. I was losing 15-20 lengths down the straight after Cascades and sitting on their wheels into the hairpin... What can you do ?

Simple realy, BACK OFF give the guy space, it is NOT a RACE

Chris.
Old 28-Apr-2006, 13:00
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse

Quote:

Chris.
Old 28-Apr-2006, 13:00
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse

Quote:

Chris.

[Edited on 28-4-2006 by chris.p]
Old 28-Apr-2006, 13:04
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by chris.p
Quote:

Chris.

wasn't necessary mate... the gap i just waited for for a lap and a half... it was large enough to get another bike through

at least i thought so he never complained.
Old 28-Apr-2006, 13:15
Montjuic
Bikes: MS1200S, T150V

Mood: Hopeful
Trackday Concerns

I agree will all those raising concerns. The organiser at Oulton last Tuesday read the riot act then subsequently failed to enforce their own rules. In Inters we had 3 red flags out of the 5 sessions I stayed for.

I saw myself: 2 riders touch going into Foulstons chicane, a suspicious crash involving 2 bikes on exit of Hizzys, and was overtaken by an Instructor very closely indeed under a red flag!

Oh and an oil flag when Weeksy's chain broke halfway up Clay Hill. Bless.

Norm.