Ducati Sporting Club
Home Calendar Gallery Membership Online Shop DSC Blogs Extras
Go Back   Ducati Sporting Club > Bike Security > Stolen Bikes
Reload this Page Stolen R6 5 days old
Forum Home Register FAQ Search Forum Recent Posts Mark Forums Read

Stolen Bikes Please read the guidelines on this thread before posting an entry

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 19-Jun-2006, 06:13 AM
KeefyB KeefyB is offline
Registered Forum User
WSB Hero
 
Posts: 7,603
Join Date: May 2002
Mood: Lurkin'.....
Dont the fumes from the tank make the house reek of petrol?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 19-Jun-2006, 11:50 AM
RCA RCA is offline
Banned
Mille
 
Posts: 237
Join Date: Aug 2005
Mood: 1098S done 1460 miles...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP
Yeah because everyone is capable of bringing their bike into their house aren't they ...

Anyone who lives in a flat that isn't on the ground floor clearly is not entitled to own a bike ...

Not sure who said that, but it certainly was not me. However when I recently bought my house down here, one of the criteria was that I was able to get the bike in, but hey thatís me.

To suggest a bike thief would be able to brake into my house, disable the house alarm, find the bike and the keys from where they are hidden, disable the bike alarm, disable the steering lock & immobiliser, get past the locks and chains etc and successfully do all the above without me hearing, the dog ripping them to bits or a neighbor noticing is totally ridic.

We all know thiefís are opportunists, if you choose to leave a high performance / desirable car on an open drive and leave your keys lying around in the house, you are giving any potential car thief a clear opportunity and my point is, is that you are more likely to get it nicked then someone who goes about it differently. I have never said you deserve it, what I did say it don't expect me to synthesize with this apparent fully-comp complacent mentality.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 19-Jun-2006, 12:20 PM
chicken's Avatar
chicken chicken is offline
Registered Forum User
Big Twin
 
Posts: 1,670
Join Date: Dec 2003
Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
I'd be curious to see what raises insurance premiums more for high performance bikes - how "nickable" it is or how many accidents that they have been involved with.

An insurance payout that involves even minor injury will likely be more than the value of the bike.

Should RCA be more annoyed at someone that is a careful rider but is targetted by professional thieves, or the guy that keeps the bike in his house but rides irresponsibly.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 19-Jun-2006, 12:40 PM
Wylie1's Avatar
Wylie1 Wylie1 is offline
Registered Forum User
500SD
 
Posts: 719
Join Date: Feb 2005
Mood: Out with the grey....in with the satin black
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCA
To suggest a bike thief would be able to brake into my house, disable the house alarm, find the bike and the keys from where they are hidden, disable the bike alarm, disable the steering lock & immobiliser, get past the locks and chains etc and successfully do all the above without me hearing, the dog ripping them to bits or a neighbor noticing is totally ridic.

We all know thiefís are opportunists, if you choose to leave a high performance / desirable car on an open drive and leave your keys lying around in the house, you are giving any potential car thief a clear opportunity and my point is, is that you are more likely to get it nicked then someone who goes about it differently. I have never said you deserve it, what I did say it don't expect me to synthesize with this apparent fully-comp complacent mentality.

I keep my bike(s) in my garage. The garage is an integral part of the house & it's wired up to house alarm, my keys are hidden in the house, the road bike is fitted with alarm/immob (cat1) & both bikes are chained up to ground anchors (security approved). Although I'm fully-comp, I hadn't considered myself complacent.

I still feel some sympathy to those that have lost their pride & joy to some lazy thieving scumbag.

Call me a snob, but if you've got a secure garage, isn't it a bit gypo'ish to keep your bike in the house?!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 20-Jun-2006, 11:27 AM
RCA RCA is offline
Banned
Mille
 
Posts: 237
Join Date: Aug 2005
Mood: 1098S done 1460 miles...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie1
Call me a snob, but if you've got a secure garage, isn't it a bit gypo'ish to keep your bike in the house?!!!!

Eh? You for real?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 20-Jun-2006, 01:07 PM
andyb's Avatar
andyb andyb is offline
Registered Forum User
BSB Star
 
Posts: 6,721
Join Date: Feb 2002
Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken
I'd be curious to see what raises insurance premiums more for high performance bikes - how "nickable" it is or how many accidents that they have been involved with.

An insurance payout that involves even minor injury will likely be more than the value of the bike.

Should RCA be more annoyed at someone that is a careful rider but is targetted by professional thieves, or the guy that keeps the bike in his house but rides irresponsibly.

food for thought!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 20-Jun-2006, 02:06 PM
Nick Pavey's Avatar
Nick Pavey Nick Pavey is offline
Registered Forum User
Mille
 
Posts: 261
Join Date: Oct 2005
Who the hell wants a bike in the house? Whatever next? Men in the kitchen?

What a bizarre thread.

(Sorry to hear about the R6 matey.)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 20-Jun-2006, 02:25 PM
GeoffDuk GeoffDuk is offline
Registered Forum User
 
Posts: 39
Join Date: Oct 2005
Hi,
Wheeled my Triumph Bonneville up a ramp and into my kitchen for some ten years to stop it being thieved - no problem with that, even the wife was understanding. Now have a secure garage but would prefer a conservatory -it's warmer. Presently building her up in the dining room whilst the dining table is stored in the garage - it's a better working environment. My first big bike was stolen and I was gutted - swore it wouldn't happen again.

Geoff

Last edited by GeoffDuk : 20-Jun-2006 at 02:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 20-Jun-2006, 08:11 PM
TORTUGA's Avatar
DSC Region Organiser TORTUGA TORTUGA is offline
Mille
 
Posts: 291
Join Date: Jul 2005
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCA

To suggest a bike thief would be able to brake into my house, disable the house alarm, find the bike and the keys from where they are hidden, disable the bike alarm, disable the steering lock & immobiliser, get past the locks and chains etc and successfully do all the above without me hearing, the dog ripping them to bits or a neighbor noticing is totally ridic.


Dont you ever go out?

If a thief wants to steel your bike and is determined enough it will be stolen.

Mine is at the back of a garage, flat against the back wall, locked up, with a car pinning it against the wall, then a locked garage door and then the wifes car pinned against the garage door. Then the gates.

However whilst I am at work the garage door and the locks are all that is left.
These days with car imobilisers being so good, thieves have to break into peoples houses for the keys, so I dont see why they cant take the bike whilst in there.

Some years ago my parents house was broken into and because their security was so good, ie alarms and locks. The gits removed a whole window by removing the beading etc. The only reason they didnt steal anything was because the payne was so big that they couldnt hold it and it hit the floor smashing and alerting a neighbour.

At the end of day we do what we can and hope for the best I suppose.
Reply With Quote
Reply
  
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Recent Posts - Contact Us - DSC Home - Archive - Top
Powered by vBulletin 3.5.4 - Copyright © 2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. - © Ducati Sporting Club - All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:19 PM.