Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 19-Sep-2005, 16:56
500SD

Mood: Not sure
Think footrests need to be chemically stripped before you polish them as they are coated in a protective paint, not tried it but Nitromors (something like that anyway) might be what you need to use first

Darren
Old 20-Sep-2005, 09:24
Ducati Corse

Yep i found that out Darren! Its very hard anodizing and Nitormors doesn't even touch it (gets any laquer off though).
Old 20-Sep-2005, 09:30
500SD

Mood: Yellow!!
I assume you rubbed it down with various grit wet and dry?

This often needs doing first from what I've been reading to get a really smooth finish before the polishing can even begin.
Old 20-Sep-2005, 09:47
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

I polished the pipes on my SS to mirror finish ( well nearly). I used various wire brushes on an electric drill to start with. This stripped off all the brown discolouration. I also used a few flap wheels to help remove the pitting and smooth out the original finish which isn't particularly smooth. I followed this with emery cloth in a medium grade then #150 wet & dry, #400 wet & dry and finally Solvol Autosol chrome polish and lots of elbow grease.
After a week or so of use the pipes will start to take on a bronze hue again. This is where the Wonder Wheels comes in. Applied once a week when you wash the bike will keep them looking silvery.

As for the footrest hangers. These are anodized and to polish them you will need to remove the anodizing first. Easiest way is to spray them with oven cleaner and leave them for a few hours. Naval jelly type rust remover will also do it - it's the phosphoric acid in it which does the business aparently.
Once you have removed the anodising you should be able to polish the hangers using the normal abrasive method of emery and/or wet & dry followed by metal polish. Remember though that once the anodizing is off they will tarnish quite quickly especially if you get road salt on them so you may want to lacquer them to keep them looking good longer.
Old 20-Sep-2005, 13:29
500SD

Just wondering what people thing I would be better with? A fixed grinding wheel or a drill?

Also for using wet and dry would I be better doing this by hand?

Thanks
Old 20-Sep-2005, 15:07
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

Using a brush head on a bench grinder is easiest but it may not get into all the corners and nooks and crannies. Using a drill with assorted shapes can get at all of the bits but you will have to hold the pipe steady in a vice with soft jaws.
Emery cloth and wet & dry is best done by hand. It takes a while.
Old 20-Sep-2005, 16:09
Ducati Corse

I would check out how much it costs to have them done professionally. I dont't think its that much (i've heard of people who pay £50 i think).
Old 20-Sep-2005, 18:08
500SD

It's nothing to do with cost etc, anybody can just pay to get something done, where's the pleasure in that?

I want the results yes but I also want the experience and knowledge that I did it all myself.

Far greater sense of achievement that way.

[Edited on 20-9-2005 by 748IOM]
Old 20-Sep-2005, 21:04
Ducati Corse

After my attempt do do it myself i would glady pay someone to do it properly! Some jobs are just not worth trying do do yourself in my opinion.
Old 20-Sep-2005, 23:24
500SD

If everybody thought like that, then you'd have nobody to pay to do it.

There's no reason why anybody can't do a professional job but it takes time, patience and most of all an active interest and pleasure from what they do.

To me it's a hobby and I get as much pleasure from working on my bike as I do riding it.

[Edited on 20-9-2005 by 748IOM]