Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-May-2003, 17:56
Mille

Mood: Back on the bike
Screens

Before I part with £60 or more to the charming gents at Snell's , please can someone advise if the higher Ducati taller screen is worth the wedge ? Don't want the sit up & beg kit from Ducati , just better wind protection. Does it work well ?
Old 21-May-2003, 19:05

Belthead,

I fitted one last summer for the south of France run. It helped a lot and I managed it in one hit without getting neck ache etc. It's easier to sustain higher m'way speeds for long periods and more comfortable generally.
I have to say that as it's taller it's less attractive than the standard screen and I'm now back to the lower standard one for everything apart from the real long hauls.

The DP screen was easy enough to fit without the need to remove any of the fairing.

There was a thread a few weeks ago about using a lower than standard screen - theory is that this sets your head above the turbulent air and is calmer and quieter as a result. No experience myself but a few reported success in this repect.
Old 22-May-2003, 09:17
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
I changed my screen to the lower one and it does quieten things down, and gets rid of all the buffeting that I used to suffer from. I have to say I don't like the look of the bike with the higher screen so wouldn't consider one. Chris Bushell has a high screen on his ST4 and loves it-each to there own I think.

John
Old 22-May-2003, 10:22
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Fitted the lower screen by dint of having a big stone crack in the original. So I chopped the top off with a hacksaw to try it before buying it.

There is naturally more windblast but it's smooth and constant rather than buffety. It's fine for the sort of 150 mile days that I tend to do.

Having said that I just order a dark tint skidmarx copy of the original from the BMF, so I'll try that for a bit just to see if the lower screen really was an improvement for me or just imagination. I'll chop that too if I go back to buffet city.
Old 27-May-2003, 17:34
Mille

I will get one & see. I think the 'clone' ones are about the same price as the OEM ones, from the look at various suppliers, ie TTS.
Old 13-Jun-2003, 15:46
Mille

OK, so I gave Snell's some more money.....
Old 18-Jun-2003, 10:38
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Postscript to my earlier thoughts on high screen's. After 2,947 miles around France, Italy, Austria, Germany and Belgium I will now invest in a high screen for these long trips. I found that sustained high speed (110-120) was unconfortable since the wind was sucking my jacket up around my shoulders and causing lots of buffeting. The low screen I have fitted is great for a 150-200 mile blast or when wearing leathers. I am going to try Chris Bushells bike before I part with any money though to make sure the result is what I want.

John