Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 29-Jul-2014, 12:47
Mille
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Enjoying a REAL summer!
Electrical Gremlins

How do folks - long time, no see...!

I'm after some help with an electrical problem on my 1098...

This started with the neutral light not coming on, then the orange warning light flashed up on the dash and the headlamp went out...then the indicators stopped working when the bike was hot etc etc then the bike died - stone dead electrics while in a contraflow on the German Autobahn...not the most fun I've ever had with leathers on?!

The bike's now home and I've replaced the reg/rec and battery as all the symptoms seem to point to the old regulator problem...but there's more...

Fuses 2 and 4 - lights and dash had also blown. I replaced these too, and connected the new battery...and the fuel pump runs continuously without the ignition key even being in...

HELP?!

If I put the key in and switch it on then connect the battery the 2 fuses blow again...

My next step is to take off all the bodywork and check all the wiring loom and connectors for water (it was VERY wet in Germany) or points that could be shorting.

Has anyone lese suffer from this? Is there a list of items to check first to try to shorten the investigation job?

I'm guessing the lighting circuit as that fuse had blown, and the dash plug as that fuse went too, but any clues as to why the fuel pump is running without the key in would be really useful...

I'll try once more for effect...HELP!!!!!!

Looking forward to the impending displays of wisdom heading my way...
Cheers

Giles
Old 29-Jul-2014, 16:04
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Sounds like it could be the fuel pump relay has either died or is shorted due to the water.
Dig it out and throw it away - they're less than a fiver to replace.

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 30-Jul-2014, 12:57
Mille

That's my start point then...and as the lighting and dash fuses are blowing maybe the headlamp and dash plugs needs investigting too if the realy doesn't cure the problem...

If both these fail to solve the issue it's time to get everything off (the bike that is...?!) and trace the wiring around looking for pinches/rubs/vermin damage etc that could be causing a short...deep joy!

Cheers for the advice.

G
Old 30-Jul-2014, 14:58
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
They seem to be strange beasts in water!
My Hypermotard often decides that it doesn't want to start because of the immobiliser when it rains; it did it on Monday when I stopped to fill up with petrol! Luckily I keep the override code in my phone so a bit of switch waggling and it was fine. It dried out by the time I got to work as well!

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 08-Aug-2014, 17:48
Mille

Heeeeelllllllppppp!!!!

I've traced around all the wiring...all looks OK - no pinches, scuffs, cuts or breaks that I can see...

I've replaced all the relays I can find - now at least the fuel pump isn't running all the time when the battery's connected so I guess that one was fubar?!

In desparation as it's still blowing the dash fuse I've removed the dash and opened the back up...and there's a stink of burned TCP and a blue M&M (capacitor if I recall correctly from my childhood radio building) that's burned and split on one side...

Question 1 - does this all sound like a reasonable outcome from the Regulator going pop?
Question 2 - any ideas if this would also cause the lighting fuse to blow repeatedly?
Question 3 - if I need to replace the dash, do I also need to replace all things relating to the immobiliser - keys, ignition barrel sensor, locks etc or can another dash be programmed to match my keys?
Question 4 - any ideas where I can get whatever I need cheap?!

Here's hoping that you guys and girls come up with the answers as usual...?!
Cheers

Giles
Old 08-Aug-2014, 19:40
500SD
Bikes: 999 Mono/1198S

Mood: Messing with diagnostics
This guy is the cheapest I have found for new dashes

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2612984267... 4.m1423.l2649

To program the dash and your keys you need the code card for the bike.