Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 02-Feb-2005, 20:50
500SD

SP4 gearing query..

Hi guys

Do any of you SP4 owners have experience with the Strada too? If so, what can you tell me about the differences in gearing? My own SP is running a 15T front sprocket paired with a very small 36T rear. As a result, 1st gear feels very tall for the street (it's practically as tall as second gear on the Strada) yet it is still revving higher than the Strada at any comparable speed in 6th gear! This suggests an extremelyclose ratio gearbox.

(I know that the SPs were fitted with closer ratio 'boxes as standard - but with regard to the very tall final drive ratio mentioned above, does this seem at all abnormal..?)

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-Feb-2005, 13:02
GTL

Steve

Have you had a look at the 851 Ducati group on Yahoo? There are several threads there at the moment on this very topic. Also a lot of knowledgeable folk there who could probably help.

Andrew
Old 03-Feb-2005, 18:20
500SD

Hi Andrew

I've seen the thread you mention - in fact I've posted on it already. It was Mike Cechini's initial post on the subject which made me wonder what ratios my bike was running. The more I read though, the more confused I become! - hence my posting the same query here.

I've just returned from a run where I took note of the revs the SP does in 6th gear. At a steady 80mph, the tach is showing 4,500rpm (which is approx 500rpm more than is shown on the Strada at the same speed), and this is despite the fact that the SP has a much smaller 36T rear sprocket.

However, 1st gear on the SP is almost as tall as second gear on the Strada - so this indicates that the SP's ratios are bunched very closely. It's not a problem (as such), I just wondered if it was 'normal'.

(The SP's Owner's Manual indicates that the bike is supplied with a 37T rear sprocket. If my bike was actually running one of these, it'd probably be revving over 5,000rpm at 80mph!)

Steve

[Edited on 4-2-2005 by weeveetwin]
Old 03-Feb-2005, 20:23
Ducati Corse

These are the ratios for my SP5 compared to a Strada,if it's any help.I don't know if the Sp4 has the same gearbox.
Old 03-Feb-2005, 21:16
GTL

Steve

I'll have a count of teeth next time I'm in the garage! I was confused by that thread as well.

Andrew
Old 04-Feb-2005, 01:47
500SD

Jasper.. Those figures are interesting - and surprising - since they show that the SP's 6th gear ratio is in fact the same as only 5th gear on the Strada. Really, if it wasn't for the SP running a smaller rear sprocket, it would be busting a gut when cruising at 80mph! Even as it is, I'm always looking for a seventh gear when motorway riding the SP. (Although the better response to the gas at these speeds is very welcome!)

Andrew.. I'm easily confused on account of my low IQ. What's your excuse??

Steve
Old 04-Feb-2005, 03:55
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

According to jasper's post, the SP5 has the same transmission as the 748 and the Strada/SPO has the same gear box as the 916. BTW, 15/36 is also stock for a 916.

So a good choice (just like for a 748) for the final drive would be 14/41 for the higher-revving SP5 and 14/36 or 15/39 would be best (just like for a 916) for the Strada/SPO on the street.
Old 04-Feb-2005, 09:48
Big Twin

Mood: This is a carbon free zone!
I`ve put one exrta tooth on the rear of my Strada and I find it ideal for the road and odd trackday
Old 09-Feb-2005, 20:23
Montjuic

Mood: SP4 is back
Gearing

Dont worry about it. Mine is the same, it will do 70 in first, and at idle with the clutch out it does about 35. I have read that a 14 toothfont will improve this but reduces the top end slightly.