Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Jul-2006, 12:24
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .

Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Hello

speaking from expierence I used 10w40 silkolene for a year and a half
replaced three rockers, then the engine seized, main bearings shot

replaced the engine now use Silkolene Pro 4 15w50 changed every three thousand miles, just had my 12k service no rockers.

works for me.

TopiToo
Old 21-Jul-2006, 13:28
Mille

Mood: Don't trust women!
What did I start here!!!

Well might as well put in my input...

I am always the type to listen to the masses and make my own mind up on such subject depending on responses and oppinions.

In Demon's defence, he was a great help with the manual thing and the initial replay (also info on a local bike I was gonna buy), so cheers for that, also amount of posts can't go against someone... Sure the person with the most posts may have been aroung the forum longer and picked up more knowledge and expirience but hell, what heppens if the MD of Ducati's R&D dept registered themselves up? Not likley I know but stranger things have happened and I wouldn't like to question their knowledge... You never know (esp on the net) someone's backround knowledge (unless ya know them obviously).

As for the debate over oil...

I have no quarms over spending top dollar if it is recomended and I know the bike will bennefit off it as I'm sure most people on here do the same. The mineral / semi / fully question's beased on cost firstly are irrelivent in my oppinion as anyone who ownes a Duacti is not gonna skimp on price of such a vital thing.

It all comes down to personal expirience, advice and (in some cases), confidence in the product (as in I always prefer castrol for oil). I have found people swear by one product (in this case oil) as their machine (whatever they have) has never let them down, yet other's who would spit on the said product because their machine chucked a bearing or rod etc (but who's to say it wasn't a faulty bearing / rod or a prob with the machine before the product was introduced into the equation)?

Whatever is decided on in one person's mind, isn't going to guarentee a 'bomb proof' machine or one that will disintergrate 10 mile down the line... In my expirience what's gone on before hand is generally the cause of the fault (e.g. I changed the oil in a Subaru Impreza I owned to the said 'best if the best' and with-in 2 weeks the engine was gone. Reason, bad oil in the past (and riving by previous owner) and the introduction of new oil uncovered the fault... But I blamed the oil until I found this out).

But in all, nothing wrong with a healthy debate... I'm just more confused than ever at the mo... )

At least have I got the weight of the oil correct? Anyone?

Last edited by diehard : 21-Jul-2006 at 13:30.
Old 21-Jul-2006, 18:45
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Without getting caught up in the rights or wrongs of this debate over semi or fully synth, my own preference is to use a 15w/50 fully synth, especially in the 4V bikes. I only put Shell Ultra in the bikes I service. Motul is a long standing favourite with Ducati owners and tuners alike.
You can use a 10W/40 in 2V, but i'd only use this in road only use bikes.

My simple reason is that i've seen a few engines like Topitoo's with blown shells. Flickering oil pressure lights on trackdays are eevn more common. The pressure falls dangerously low when very hot in some cases.

Regardless of the rights or wrongs, that's my personal experience.

btw the oil filter is the correct part. Unless you're running a RS, then the filters are the same across the ranges
Old 22-Jul-2006, 17:33
500SD
Bikes: 803 rs race bike

I use Shell Ultra every 3000 miles.

I compared the old oil to the new oil and the old was beat, so I am happy spending £50 every 3000 miles that equates to less than a penny a mile. Bloody cheap skates some of you.