Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-Apr-2006, 18:05
Mille

748 Rocker check?

Hi

set out to check the rockers on my 748 today, but came to a bit of a dead end. I'm hoping someone can get help me going again!

I tried to pull the vertical cams, but the inlet would only pull out about 1/4 inch. and the exhaust wouldnt nove more than about a 16th! I undid both end caps, and removed the LHS ones, and pulled the cam, with drive wheel still in place, out on the belt side. I had removed the belts!

I read somewhere that the cams should be pulled out about 1/2 inch, which would let me see the rocker faces and cam lpbes to look for wear. I can see the openers OK on the one that has come out a bit, but cant see great deal on the other one. I cant see much of the closers on either.

Something is fouling or whatever to stop me getting them out, but I cant see what!

Anyone got any ideas where I am going wrong? I cant find any instrustions on this anywhere. Also any pointers as to what I should see when I do get them out would be usefull too!

Thanks

Douglas
Old 09-Apr-2006, 20:09
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
You need to remove the covers between the cams and you'll see the ends of the 4 rocker shafts. You need to pull out the 2 top ones, either all the way and let the rocker fall or just them about 3/4 inch out and slide the rocker clear of the valve/shim.
Then turn the cam so the closer lobes clear the top of the valve as you pull it out. There's no need to remove the LHS bearing caps.
You'll be able to see all 4 rockers through the inspection covers.
You'll need new o-rings for the cam bearing hosings and new gaskets for the covers.
Don't be tempted to use instant gasket, especially on the one covering the rocker pins. It'll end in tears next time you inspect them.
Old 09-Apr-2006, 23:20
Mille

Thanks! I'll give that a try over Easter, and see how I get on. I already have the O rings and gaskets, so I shouldnt be tempted with the silicone!

regards

Douglas