Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Sep-2003, 10:48
Mille

Mood: good
748 near breakdown/petrol problem???

I was riding home last night on my 748 after doing a few miles and the engine seemed to cut after revving really hard. I changed into 2nd and i thought i'd got neutral as nothing happened.

I got home (only about 2 miles) after checking the oil, etc, which was the same level as far as I could see, but it was so slow, hardly wanted to go atall and would cut out unless i held the throttle open.

Theres no unusual clunks or sounds other than sounding like its running out of petrol (like my old bike used to sound when u need to switch to reserve).

No oil/fluid has dropped out the bike overnight, I haven't got a clue what it could be. When i restarted it after stopping i could smell petrol a bit.

Anyone have any ideas in case its a simple fix before i take it to a dealer?
Old 30-Sep-2003, 11:40
Mille

Cheers weeksy, would that have happened due to being near/on the rev limit, or just happened then by chance?
Old 30-Sep-2003, 12:09
Ducati Corse

Also make sure your battery isn't flat.Similar symptoms.
Old 30-Sep-2003, 12:11
everton

Hey Jody,

Give me a shout if I can help.

I can call by this pm if you need help as per Weeksy's suggestions.

I've had pinched fuel lines and breather pipes on my Monsters and SPS which resulted in cut out - also over revving my S4 sometimes over pressurised the fuel delivery causing the same issues.

Anyway, you know where I am.
Old 30-Sep-2003, 12:40
Mille

Thanks everton, I sent u a U2U
Old 30-Sep-2003, 12:51
everton

Jody,

Send me your address through e-mail - I'll call round about 17:30 if that's OK.

Do you have the right tools?

Dave
Old 30-Sep-2003, 15:53
everton

Cheers Weeksy but should be OK.

I've stripped down the tank & fuel lines etc a couple of times on my 996 so I guess the layout is much the same.

Anyway, I sold my Haynes manual to Jody last week so we should be able to diagnose if not fix the thing - hopefully!!!

BTW thanx for the recommendation for RideInTyres - I have spoken to Mike & Tyreman re: the BT012SS - pricing came out much the same so I'll have to choose who will fit them. Seems your name carriers a bit of weight round these Ducati fans

Thanks again - if anyone is out this weekend (Berks/Oxon) I should have them on and we can discuss further the merits of which tyre etc
Old 30-Sep-2003, 17:14
Big Twin

Mood: :devil:
I had this problem on my way down to Popham the other week. Felt like it was running really rough and cut out a couple of times, once leading into a fairly tight right hander
When I cut out I wouldn't bump start on the move so I just pulled the clutch in, hit the starter button and off it went again. Some of the guys said they could smell fuel when following me.

I put it down to some crap in the fuel as it started just after a re-fill and seemed to clear itself up and was fine all the way home.
Old 30-Sep-2003, 23:16
everton

Met up with Jody tonight and basically Its running on only one cylinder.

Checked fuel feeds, breather pipe etc all looked OK not pinched etc.

As one pipe was hot we traced the cold non runner to the horizontal cylinder - removed spark plug which was black & sooty.

Cleaned it all up & replaced but still a non-runner so I guess it is electrical unless one of you guys has any other ideas.

Reached the limit of my limited mechanical expertise I'm afraid.

I suggested Jody speaks to Pegasus in Reading to see if they can sort it. Does anyone know of a mobile service that would go to him? He lives north of Maidenhead.
Old 01-Oct-2003, 00:52
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Maybe the plugs a gonner and needs replacing, could try swapping plug with the one in the other cylinder if no spare handy and see if the problem transfers, same goes for swapping the coils over.
Jody/Everton how far north of Maidenhead, i'm in Oxford and have a fair few spares for the race bike that could be tried, always got new plugs around, spare ECU etc.
Will be riding down to Oxon / N.Berks meet via Marlow Maidenhead area on Sunday