Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 02-May-2004, 19:15
Big Twin

Mood: Enjoying Togdom !
flying 749r !

Took my 749r out today for the first time after getting it back from its first service.
Boy this thing flys,at 8000 rpm its as though it says "so you really want to go then"feels as quick as my 890 ,only trouble is that i need to learn to grip with my knees when accelerating as i keep slipping back on the seat(hopefully the new gel seat will cure that) otherwise its going to be velcro on my ar*e.
The new buchi is a vast improvement on the standard fit slipper.,no freewheeling!
Hopefully the third generation ecu will be fitted before Cadwell so should be able to give full throttle as quick as i want without the huge flatspot that affects the bike now when shutting off.
JHP also went down 1 tooth on the front ,lowers the gearing by 9% avast improvement.
ROLL ON CADWELL>
BUTCH
Old 05-May-2004, 19:13
Mille

hi as a fellow 749r owner can you answer some questions for me, when you mentioned 3rd generation ecu wot did you mean? next when you say freewheeling do you mean when you go down the box the bike seems 2 av made no selection at all?
Old 05-May-2004, 19:47
Big Twin

Hi boyo,my bike was delivered with the wrong ecu and had a new one fitted to it after 2 weeks,it know turns out the new ecu was exactly the same as the first one!
JHP are now waiting for a new spec one which they are fitting to the ducati uk press bike,if thats ok Italy will send over more for us mere mortals!
The clutch had a habit to just freewheel on downchanges also the lever didnt return fully hence the change.
Old 06-May-2004, 08:17
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
I have had the "freewheeling" thing when changing down from 3rd to 2nd at low speeds , it's feels like the bike is still in 3rd but if you change down again you are in 1st , quite disconcerting. It only happens if you are at low revs

My dealer has been in touch with Ducati and JHP about it and it seems most 749R's are having the same problem , watch this space

The dealer also told me that the day before my R arrived , a replacement ECU arrived with the message "fit this before PDI" , the bike seems to run fine , I have heard that JHP have had problems with one bike misfiring at high revs though , that may be the reason for the 3rd generation ECU required , no doubt there will be a recall if it's found all the bikes need one
Old 08-May-2004, 16:33
Mille

wot my dealer told me

Hi guys just to let you know wot my dealer workshop tech told me when i asked about the freewheeling 749r. he said he would get onto ducati uk technical and ring me back which he did later in the day. This guy at ducati uk told him that thay are a slipper clutch and that thay are designed to do that? i then said do you understand that when it happens i have no engine braking at all and it is qiut scary when your flying into your favourite bend which he replied that the only thing to do is replace it with a standard clutch, to which i replied mmm! give me your opinions guys.
Old 09-May-2004, 16:15
Big Twin

Go back to your dealerBoyo , mine was replaced under warranty.
The factory unit fitted from new is the same one fitted to bikes in 1999,it has been fitted for supersport rules which state that the bike must race with the " SAME TYPE " of clutch that it left the factory with.
The race teams junk the factory unit and fit a buchi unit,as i have a buchi on my 890 which i like very much thats what ive had fitted onn the 749 and i must say i find it superb.
If you are still having trouble with your dealer have a word with Geoff at JHP i'm sure he could help you out.
Old 09-May-2004, 21:07
Montjuic

Mood: Waiting for Sunshine
Slipper

Just back from 3 days at JEREZ with track sense, the slipper works perfectly when your on the circuit no problems at all but only misbehaves at low speeds in normal road conditions. The bike is an absolute track tool, with 3 extra teeth on the back it can keep up with most 1000cc bikes. Well impressed all round and everyone thought it was a 999R !!!!

:P

Watched Sete all day on Wednesday testing tyres at the circuit and managed to meet him and his team. What a star and f****n very fast not to mention the noise of the GP bike echoing all the way round Jerez

I can die anytime now