Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 10-Mar-2005, 14:33
Montjuic

Mood: p*$$ed off
Advice on a track bike?

I'm going to see a couple of track bikes this w'end (a CBR6 FV and a ZX6R G2). Both have been race bikes at one time or another and I just wanted to know if there's anything specific I should look out for?

They are virtually the same price and both have WOWs and some spares. The ZX6 has had it's engine blueprinted and AFAIK the CBR is pretty much standard except for perhaps having a Stage 1 Dynojet kit (not 100% sure of that though).

Are either of them especially easy or difficult to get spares for, service, set-up etc. etc.? Obviously a lot depends on the condition of the specific bikes involved but on the face of it, is there a general consensus as to which would be the better bike? I'm only wanting to use them for trackdays and have no intention (or sufficient funds!) to race them.

Cheers.
Old 10-Mar-2005, 14:36
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
Have a word with Ed on VD as i think his CBR6 may be an FV. He might be able to tell you more about spares availability.

From what i recall having had an FY some parts are interchangeable between models others not specifically but you can adapt them. Can't really help much more than that though.
Old 10-Mar-2005, 14:40
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Why not go to one or two club races at Croft and talk to the lads that race them. Derby-Phoenix races there on April 1 and 2. There may be some even sooner.

In general, the thing with race bikes is that you only want to buy one from someone you know well or you can somehow verfiy it's history. There are a huge number of examples where people bought one and got stuck massive repair bills. Just look at Fil2's recent post. Use extreme caution, unless it's dirt cheap!
Old 10-Mar-2005, 14:41
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Had 2 ZX6R's (both G1's) same as the G2 bar the paintwork... loads of spares around for these now, at the time when I had mine there wasn't much though. Things that seemed to break were standard rearsets, I snapped one pushing the bike into the house!

Also check frame round the headstock, I wrote one off, and a friend had one also where the bars had come round and sheered the lock stops.

Never let me down once though, would start off the button after not being run for 3 months.
Old 11-Mar-2005, 00:11
Montjuic

Quote:
Originally posted by Lily
Have a word with Ed on VD as i think his CBR6 may be an FV. He might be able to tell you more about spares availability.

PMSL. Actually, it IS his bike I'm going to look at.
Old 11-Mar-2005, 03:08
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Can't go far wrong with a CBR600 Steelie especially the later FV and FW models, they were very popular on the club scene and at the top national level the Sanyo bikes and the V&M ones won the Supersports championships, loads of well sorted ones around. I still have a FV model, with Ohlins shock, Harris rearsets, fairing and seat bracket along with my original V&M Duckhams body kit. I have fitted Firestorm forks and 4 pot callipers. The one I sold last year to buy a ZXR400 for the TT had a FX front end in it.
What price are you looking at, a road legal one will a probably be around the same price as a sorted track only bike. Decent suspension is the main thing for a trackbike the CBR responds well to raising the rear ride height, easily done on a FV by using the suspension rocker off a FS or FT model, Marked MAL which was linked to a 282mm shock, the other models FN to FR and FV & FW use a 292mm shock and a MV9 rocker.
Old 11-Mar-2005, 14:58
Montjuic

Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids
Can't go far wrong with a CBR600 Steelie especially the later FV and FW models...

That's good to hear.

Quote:
What price are you looking at, a road legal one will a probably be around the same price as a sorted track only bike.

Advertised at £1700

Quote:
Decent suspension is the main thing for a trackbike the CBR responds well to raising the rear ride height, easily done on a FV by using the suspension rocker off a FS or FT model, Marked MAL which was linked to a 282mm shock, the other models FN to FR and FV & FW use a 292mm shock and a MV9 rocker.

Duly noted, thanks.
Old 11-Mar-2005, 15:47
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Quote:
Originally posted by eccles291
Quote:
Originally posted by Lily

PMSL. Actually, it IS his bike I'm going to look at.

If it's Ed's it'll be alright, he hasn't learnt how to twist the throttle yet
Old 11-Mar-2005, 18:54
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
If you go for it I would recommend refitting the charging system, unlike the Fireblades they don't like having to run without the fuel pump, so you need to keep the battery charged.

Any body want a Fireblade for £2200 would make a good track biike as would my ZXR400L for a little under £1400.
Old 11-Mar-2005, 18:59
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
LOL

Well if its Ed's bike I reckon its pretty much OK tbh.

I don't recall him having any issues with it and it seemed like a good sound bike from what I saw.