Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 15-Aug-2005, 23:44
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
i think it unlikely we'll get many worse conditions than saturday to ride in.

sure wets will give you more grip and clearly everyone will go quicker on them but i recon its up to the rider to ride to the conditions. i trundled round like a pussy in the wet because i dont have the skill others do in those conditions but i dont see a reason to change.

i dont see it as a safety issue per se as i think more people come off when its dry purely because they think they have all the grip in the world. thats how it is on trackdays anyhow. i know its not racing but you get my drift.
Old 16-Aug-2005, 00:14
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Hmm, tricky one.

Having now raced on wets, road tyres and "sticky tyres" I think that the Diablos are fine in the dry, we don't need to go for race rubber/tyre warmers/gennies etc.

I forgot that I wasn't on wets in the first race (hah, didn't think of that excuse did you WJB?!) but to be honest, up to that point I was reasonably happy with the amount of grip that the Diablos offered in proper wet conditions.

Race 2 would have been interesting on wets as a dry line was emerging by the end. A SoT bike with 130+ bhp probably would have cooked wets in those conditions, but I wonder how wets would have stood up to 6 laps from 50-60bhp?

As I said way back at the AGM, I would prefer to have wets as an option for when they are needed for safety reasons, but also remember last year pondering whether the imminent downpour meant cut slicks, inters or wets on each end of the bike, while this year it was just a case of "ho hum I'm going to get wet".

However, to mis-quote Dom, nobody wants to spend all that money on a bike, pay to race and then risk wasting it all for the sake of an extra relatively small investment.

One of the aims of this series was for people to experience racing, and the choice of using wets or not is part of that, despite being an extra hassle.

So before I get told to p*ss or get off the pot, as an in- form crasher I say go with wets for next year.

Old 16-Aug-2005, 01:11
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 916 Senna, 748RS Corse, 1098s Race

Mood: walking on sunshine.....
Another in form crasher here, vote no for wets!

Simple series, simple rules.

Not convinced we had more crashes at Donny than any other round? Let me know if we did?

I crashed because I'm not smooth enough on the controls in the wet, simple as that!

Must practice,and learn not to fall down. I would rather invest £300 in 3 track days at the start of next season than go with wets I may or may not use?!

Bonsoir....
Old 16-Aug-2005, 01:17
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
As pointed out above I have experience of racing in the wet, I have been at a couple of meetings which have been abandoned due to the wet conditions. One of which was Thruxton a couple of years ago, I thought it a strange decision as it was abandoned after the Streetstocks race which I was out in I was on Avon Azaros and haveing a fun time of it on my 130bhp Fireblade, waiting back in the holding area was my TL1000S on full wets ready for the next race which was the Sound of Thunder race which I was really looking forward to as in the streetstocks I was passing several riders per lap and relished the idea of going faster on the wets. But due to the amount of fallers in the Streetstocks race the meeting was abandoned, as I said I thought this a odd decision, especially as many of the fallers had been on Super Corsas and alike, poor tyre choice for the conditions.
in 2002 I was in a Sot race with North Glos and it started spitting as we were called to the collecting area as there had been short showers throughout the afternoon I had already opted for Dragon Evo's as a inter tyre while others including Whele went out on Super Corsas or Rennsports, at the start of the race they gained an advantage over me but as more and more rain fell I wheeled them in and passed Whele on his more powerful 996SPS then as I gained quickly on 6th place I found the rider had virtually come to a stop at the hairpin not wanting to make the turn on his SCs, I was rapidly approaching and had to try and avoid him while on the brakes, as it was a airfield circuit the dreaded overbanding made my front wheel breakaway and down I went heavily, my shoulder gave me grief for the next 6 months, my bike was damaged and why.
As I see it others made a bad tyre choice that caught them out and finally their error caught up with me.
For those that came to support me at Thruxton last year they saw that I had the 916 on paddock stands most of the time with the wheels out trying to work out what the weather was doing and make the right tyre choice.
And that is one of the problems - changable conditions - nothing more dangerous than a grid made up of bikes where some are on wets and others aren't as one will be the wrong tyre choice. We certainly can't be put in that position at the moment.

Yes this is all part of racing, but so are control tyres they are not new, its how the CB500 series started, didn't hurt Toseland any.

I do have spare wheels, I haver wets that will fit them I also have tyrewarmers but I am still happy with having a class that runs just on Diablos.

As I mentioned before if there were enough of us racing then maybe we could have two classes/grids, Budget class 583s on Diablos and a more costly class for 620/675 (properly tuned) with wets, warmers and Corsa type tyres.

Kev
I would enter the 583 class on the Diablos
Old 16-Aug-2005, 01:20
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
This will undoubtably be one of the issues that comes up at Brands so I'm glad we've had the chance to discuss it. I hope the majority realise that the limitations are in your head, not on your wheels (it certainly looks that way from the poll). In an ideal world this series would've been for unmodified 583s and given many folk a genuinely cheap way to go racing. If I want to do £2k of engine work, spend £x00 on wets/warmers/genny/etc I'll jump ship to SoT or similar, but even if someone else was sponsoring my ride I'd still have the common sense to see that introducing more expense can only be a bad thing for everyone else.

As for not trying them, tyres are only one part of a long equation. I'm sure wets are miles better than Diablos but that could be said about many parts on the bike. What's next, ohlins all round and billet brembos? Radial master cylinders for anyone that locks a front wheel? I've crashed twice through my own fault, and if I'd crashed on Saturday it would've almost certainly been my fault too, not the tyres, regardless of conditions.

Just my £0.04+vat.....

Ali
Old 16-Aug-2005, 01:30
Mille

I'm **** in the wet, always have been and probably always will be, so maybe I'm biassed BUT Dom said it all for me.

The cost of a 2nd set of wheels is not much when you've already invested in all the other bits and pieces, CSS, foreighn track days etc. Like Dom I don't understand some peoples priorities.

my vote is for wets and sticky dry tyres - like propper racers use!
Old 16-Aug-2005, 01:39
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Dave Jefferies 2000 Proddie TT, very wet, road legal tyres obviously not a proper racer like all the others that race in that class.

Whats the tyre rules in the national Superstocks championship and R6 cup.

Mark Baldock winner of both SoT races on Saturday winning the first one on Slicks after being held on the start line for ages, has one hell of a feel for what his bike was doing under him and has fantastic throttle control, something else real racers need to learn
Old 16-Aug-2005, 01:50
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids
Whats the tyre rules in the national Superstocks championship and R6 cup.

Superstocks can use wets.

The R6 Cup is the only other class (as far as I am aware) that don't use wets.

Horse for courses at the end of the day - but you're wrong :P
Old 16-Aug-2005, 08:37
Big Twin

Mood: Enjoying Togdom !
dom,just read this again,thereseems to be some confusion in your reasons ,is it that you want to be able to go faster in the wetor a safety issue?
Butch
Old 16-Aug-2005, 08:55
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Namby pamby, airy fairy! Call yourselves racers?

Instead of moaning about having to use road tyres, do what us previously non-racers have done, get out on a road bike in winter and get used to the conditions so you know how road tyres will react in slippery conditions

Yeah like THAT's gonna happen