Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-Jul-2009, 19:03
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
998R TPS values wanted

I've had a look through all my nfo and had a search of the web but have failed to find the set up values for the TPS for either a 998R or 998

Unlike many of the later models that use the 5.9 ECU the 998 still uses the adjustable non linear TPS so needs setting manually

The values I need are the readings in millivolts (mV) for both the fully closed butterfly position and then the idle pos'n

Thanks in advance
Kev

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 27-Jul-2009, 10:41
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

Although the 998R is not mentioned in this article by Brad Black on setting up the non-linear TPS, I'd be pretty sure that it will be the same as the ST4s and S4R which use the same TPS and 5.9 ECU. The TPS is still set at 150mV with the throttle fully closed and the idle stop backed off but you will have to "backprobe" the pins at the TPS to get a connection between the black/violet and orange wires.
Old 27-Jul-2009, 11:11
MotoGP God

Cheers Derek
I have consulted Brads site quite a few times in the past and even had a look yesterday for info on the 998s, I hadn't considered the information regarding the S4R or ST4S. as you say there TPS settings could be the same as not many bikes use the 5.9 ECU and adjustable Non LinearTPS.
I while back I made myself a short patch lead that plugs in between the TPS and its connecting lead that allows me to easily read the voltage.

Job for tomorrow evening I feel as its the local bike night this evening so i'll be off over to that

Old 27-Jul-2009, 17:00
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

Remember to note the readings first before you adjust anything. If it turns out wrong you can always set it back to where they were before.
Old 27-Jul-2009, 19:39
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
Remember to note the readings first before you adjust anything. If it turns out wrong you can always set it back to where they were before.

Already done the idle pos'n reading it was in my post on Saturday under the DD section, titled along the lines of I'm ready for Cadwell.
Reading I got was 405mV which should equate to 2.4 degrees

Old 31-Jul-2009, 17:19
MotoGP God

Had a bit of time to play with the 998R again today.
So started off by taking a TPS reading for the current idle/tickover pos'n after adjusting it the other day. The multimeter read 424mV.
I then backed off the throotle stop screw on the front injector body that houes the TPS, meter reading down to 123mv, I then backed out the throttle stop on the rear throttle body and the reading dropped to 96mV. Finally I slackened off the throtle cable and we arrived at a TPS value of 57mV for fully closed.

Its hard to believe this bike has done less than 300 miles since a £4.5K engine refresh and set up of the FIM ECU we I have now removed as the bike just died when the throttle was wound open quickly, as you would when over taking.

So I have now set the TPS to 149mV in the fully closed position and then wound in the front throttle stop until I got a reading of 394mV.

Just about to take for a test ride and then when I have some more time I'll balance the throttles and set the CO2

Old 31-Jul-2009, 17:40
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
I think you'd best just sell the bike to me!!
Old 31-Jul-2009, 18:04
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
missed this one Kev. You've done it right though. Don't get too hung up on the mV reading at idle as the amount of air bleed you give it when setting the mixture/balance will affect where the throttle stop is.... It's a starting point that's all.
The 150mV is the important one.
Old 31-Jul-2009, 20:49
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler
I think you'd best just sell the bike to me!!

Tim i'm Just trying to get it ready to enter for BIKE OF THE MONTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly
missed this one Kev. You've done it right though. Don't get too hung up on the mV reading at idle as the amount of air bleed you give it when setting the mixture/balance will affect where the throttle stop is.... It's a starting point that's all.
The 150mV is the important one.

Cheers Neil. I think I'll settle for the 149mV I ended up at as it would alter slightly as I tightend the torx screws.

Just been out on it to visit my parents and its certainly ticking over better and starting is defo better than it was on the track day.
I don't think I have the best ECU on it for its current setup, so will have to decide on what ECU is best out of the ones I have and then get the PC3 USB sorted. But want to get the basics right first

The Close ratio Corse gearbox is a bit of a nightmare on the road, even with 15/42 final drive sprockets 1st is to high and smooth pull aways from the traffic lights etc aren't aided by high gearing and the grabby 4-post clutch, which in turn probably isn't helped by the after market Slave Cylinder being connected to a 19 X 18 Billet Brembo clutch lever. So I can see me swapping a few bits to try and get the best combination, but may end up removong the C/R box

Old 04-Aug-2009, 16:01
MotoGP God

Been having a play with my gearing calculator and to get the Close Ratio Box to have the same overall ratio for first gear as the standard bike with its standard box and 15/36 final drive, I need to fit a 14/42 final drive combination. This in turn takes in the region of 44mph off the bikes top speed, where top gear becomes 14.5mph/1000rpm compared to the standard 998Rs 18mph/1000rpm.

Rode the bike over to H-Cafe (Fox's) yesterday evening and it was starting and idling quite well on the 998RS ECU so we are slowly getting there.

Need to get around to sorting the speedo pick-up ring for the Magneti Marelli dash as well as the idiot lights, not that I will ever see a neutral light unless I replace the Corse Shift drum.