Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 10-Nov-2005, 21:28
Mille

coolant leak

Ive seen other threads on this but not sure if it is this or if its a common thing..

my leak is a fine spray over the top part of the bike ie.ignition switch and coolant bottle area and it is wet on the cross members of the front part of frame .It looks like it is the coolant bottle.ive checked and changed hose fittings rads ok etc ..could it be the coolant bootle leaking on the seame or the cap..

Is the atmospheric sensor supposed to move at all ie is it fixed in or just sit on rubber mounts...

Any help is much appreciated ..if it is the coolant bottle any one got one for sale..

Simon
Old 10-Nov-2005, 21:30
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Yep,could be the header tank.Check the breather outlet is not blocked.Mine split all the way down the seam.
Old 10-Nov-2005, 21:34
Mille

Thats what i first thought but said na cant be split.It was mostly wet on the incave section of the tank ...I did clean the crap of around the seam and it seemed to be a bit more spray so maybe this is the problem..anybody got a decent spare for sale..

Simon
Old 10-Nov-2005, 21:48
Dibble

yep, its the coolant bottle, there is a seam that runs around it horizontally, that eventually gives, it's very common, new ones ae only £16 or so if i remember rightlay .... bitch of a job though as the ignition comes up, tank removed, airbox (i think) .... hoses and lots of faffing ...... have fun ....
Old 10-Nov-2005, 21:49
Mille

Cheers i wiil check that as well ...

Simon
Old 10-Nov-2005, 21:57
Mille

Quote:
Originally posted by HUNT749
Thats what i first thought but said na cant be split.It was mostly wet on the incave section of the tank ...I did clean the crap of around the seam and it seemed to be a bit more spray so maybe this is the problem..anybody got a decent spare for sale..

Simon

yer found that out lastnight removing it to check things over.....

Simon
Old 10-Nov-2005, 21:59
Mille

oops sorry wrong quote...

meant the one about removing the header tank.doh...

simon
Old 10-Nov-2005, 22:13
Dibble

ha ha ha ... no worries ....
Old 11-Nov-2005, 23:03
Mille

Right ive stripped it all out the two pipes on the left of the tank are ok.

The tank itself seems ok cant see any gaps in the join but im not sure ya gonna be able to anyway..

but i did notice that the pipe from the bottom of tank to top of rad you could actually twist ,the clamps are as tight as they wil go but are a bit rusty..
will change these but should i change the header tank just to be on the safe side as its all stripped out ..Is this a part that a dealer would stock or would i have to wait a couple of weeks

Simon
Old 11-Nov-2005, 23:10
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
i'd say it'll still be the tank. There's another area that goes to, about 10mm-15mm above the seam, just below the lock assembly.
The hose usually turns on the rad connection pipe, although i've not seen a leak from there.
JHP usually have stock, and I think I have one to if you get stuck. I think they are about £23 now..........

When/is you do swap the tank, be careful removing the pins that the air pressure sensor mounts to. They can be very tight and they aren't very strong.