Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 25-Oct-2003, 00:38
Big Twin

Mood: My K5 Rocks !!!!
Advice needed on Slipper Clutches.....

Hi there, I am currently toying with the idea of putting a slipper clutch on my 999s, Has anyone out there already fitted one and if so which ones are recommended ? Has anybody tried any clutch plates that are non-standard, as I have heard that ally plates are quieter. It has been mentioned to me that I may experience a strange feeling through the clutch lever , Has anybody had any problems with this ?? Any feedback greatly appreciated. Dave
Old 25-Oct-2003, 10:21
Ducati Corse

I've got an STM 48T on the 853.Excellent it is.I presume they will fit 999's.The feel you get through the lever is a slight "click" as you disengage/engage the clutch.It's something that you get used to.Do a search for coments from others,we have discussed the pro's and cons tenfold.!
Old 26-Oct-2003, 12:20
Big Twin

I had a ducati corse slipper with carbon clutch plates fitted on my just sold 999s.
The bike was fantastic coming into corners as i could change down the box without any fear of the back end locking up and gave a lot of confidence.
The only down point was a grinding noise when moving off quickly or when say on a hill and slipping the clutch as you move off,but most people i have asked seem to have experienced this themselves.
As for the lever clicking ,i found that blipping the throttle as i changed down the box seemed to eliminate this.
Overall i think they are a great piece of kit but i do not know where they get the prices from.
Good Luck
Old 26-Oct-2003, 19:35
500SD

Mood: head down
clutches

ive used so far -
sintered plates
carbon plates
Dp slipper clutch
and now i have a STM EVO 48t

the stm is the best by far as the spring rate suits me better and with the 48 t rather than the 12 t original outer basket i hope it lasts longer (every 3500km new plates and outer basket) the carbon plates last longer but all the shock load is passed on into the drive train only when they are hot ,(like youre tyres i suppose) do they seem to react and give some feel. oh and if you think normal sintered plates are loud then these are terrible
Old 26-Oct-2003, 20:12
Big Twin

Thanks for the advice and the piccy, am now well and truly confused about what to do, think I may just give it a miss for now and make sure I am always in the right gear !!! Am doing the NEC on the 14th, maybe I will look more into it up there ! Thanks all the same though....Dave
Old 27-Oct-2003, 18:24
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Just save your money.....

...and get the STM 48 tooth jobby, its as good as you'll get and well worth it.

Give TecMoto a call - 01708 343916 and ask them for a price - speak to Wayne tell them you got the info from the DSC and I'm sure he'll give you a great deal.

Tim
Old 27-Oct-2003, 23:13
Big Twin

slipper crutches

tim,are we talking stm 48 evo, 6 springs or centre spring.or just a standard stm 48 !!!,oh dear my head is going to fall off!!!! what about plates.......