Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Feb-2006, 21:26
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
How would one replace a seal then gents ?

How much is a set of seals ?
Old 19-Feb-2006, 21:30
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally posted by weeksy2
How would one replace a seal then gents ?

How much is a set of seals ?

Is it a dancing seal? replacements are hard to find these days with an equity card!
Old 19-Feb-2006, 21:36
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Chilled
Quote:
Originally posted by twpd
I found out to my cost with my race bike that copper grease can cause lots of problems with caliper seals - they swell, it cause pistons to stick and this boiled the fluid and glazed the pads. I started using red rubber grease from Castrol and that almost totally solved the problem. I only use the copper stuff on pins now. In the case of Ducati calipers I use nothing - I just keep them clean. If your pistons are sticking badly then the chances are that the seals are fugged - they may have swelled due to all the cleaning materials you have used.

Good answer!

steve when you replace the seals,make sure you clean the reces's out good and propa!

..mav
Old 19-Feb-2006, 21:42
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Never done it on a Duke but, I guess it's pretty much like any other bike.

Pump the lever enough to push the pistons nearly all the way out.
Pull the pistons out, note which caliper and position they came from, drain all fluid from the calipers and the master cylinder.
At this stage I prefer to disconnect the calipers from their lines and work on a bench.
Remove the seal and discard.
Clean the calipers inside and out thoroughly using just a rag or if you prefer brake cleaner.
Clean the pistons thoroughly, remove any roughness by gently rubbing them with scotchbrite or similar. Check them for any signs of scoring or other damage.
Make sure the calipers are completely dry and free of any dirt or residue cleaning fluid.
Wet the new seals with clean new fluid, put them back it. be careful not to get the seals twisted in their grooves.
Wet the pistons with clean new fluid and push them back into the calipers.
They should slide in quite freely - if they don't then you have the seals either twisted or in the wrong way round and possibly the piston not straight.
Don't push the pistons in all the way though as the new seal might pull them back in again when you release the pressure when bleeding the brakes - this will make it difficult to bleed them effectively.

Use new copper washers when refitting the brake lines.

I won't bother describing how to bleed brakes - there's plenty of good info out there.
Old 19-Feb-2006, 21:57
Big Twin

Cheers Nige,

Might be a trip to the spanner man for this i think. Will try giving them a little coat tomorrow with the pistons pushed almost all the way out and repeating a few times.... if we have no joy there, i will be shooting over to see Greedy soon.
Old 19-Feb-2006, 22:25
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Steve,

It's a simple job really - well within the grasp of most people. Just be thorough and take your time.
Old 19-Feb-2006, 22:26
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by twpd
Steve,

It's a simple job really - well within the grasp of most people. Just be thorough and take your time.

never actually bled brakes myself mate. Crust may be up for it, will need to chat. also need to see about buying seals
Old 19-Feb-2006, 22:29
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
My advise would be with the greatest of respect, to get someone else to do it for you!
If your not sure dont even begin to mess with brakes!
Old 19-Feb-2006, 22:45
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by andyb
My advise would be with the greatest of respect, to get someone else to do it for you!
If your not sure dont even begin to mess with brakes!

LOL you have respect for me ? miracles do occur after all

I am not the sort of bloke to mess with things mate, if one of the lads has done it and knows the script, i'm more than happy. If not... i'll be getting Greedy on the case a week on Sat.
Old 19-Feb-2006, 23:02
Mille
Bikes: 748R, ZXR 400

Mood: Glad to be back down south.
Weeksy2,
pretty much agree with all that 'twpd' says apart from the scotch brite part. The optimum method of cleaning the surface of the pistons is clean fluid , a lint free cloth and plenty of elbow grease. Scotchbrite, however gentle it is used, is still a fairly abrasive material, there are other textiles that are similar in look and I suggest one that is suited to Teflon pans, for example, that may be used as a last resort, but in all honesty fluid, cloth and a brisk rubbing action (orch!!!) should suffice.
I cannot overstate the importance of replacing the pistons in their original bore.
Resistance to piston replacement should be firm but not sticky. Good luck