Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-Nov-2006, 22:34
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 749R 2004

Mood: luvin' bein back out on the 'R'
anyone else noticed how far off the frame/subframe line the exhaust run is on the 1098 ? huge gap between the pipes and the tail, looks like it's hanging low to me, not neat & sexy like the 749/999

shame 'cos the seat and side panels are growing on me, would look sweeter with a tucked in pipe run
Old 09-Nov-2006, 22:35
500SD

Mood: Warmed up and ready to go
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpy G

Selective linking........I like it!!!!
Old 09-Nov-2006, 22:36
500SD

Mood: Warmed up and ready to go
Quote:
anyone else noticed how far off the frame/subframe line the exhaust run is on the 1098 ? huge gap between the pipes and the tail, looks like it's hanging low to me, not neat & sexy like the 749/999

shame 'cos the seat and side panels are growing on me, would look sweeter with a tucked in pipe run

Noticed that too first off......maybe could do with a bit of lagging in there.....
Old 09-Nov-2006, 22:51
Mille

Mood: Built for comfort, not speed
Now all these /9's will be going cheap wonder if my spare track day panels will fit them? Would'nt mind one after a bit of plastic surgery. And a different exhaust. Oh wait that would be a 1098 . . . . . . .
Old 09-Nov-2006, 23:09
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 749R 2004

Mood: luvin' bein back out on the 'R'
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducv2
Now all these /9's will be going cheap wonder if my spare track day panels will fit them? Would'nt mind one after a bit of plastic surgery. And a different exhaust. Oh wait that would be a 1098 . . . . . . .

dunno what you mean m8, not trading mine in

when I look at those 3 pics they appear to been in the wrong order of evolution (after all man hasn't gone back to walking on all fours again has he ? oh apart from that one time I was really drunk)

should be 1,3,2 from what I can see !
Old 09-Nov-2006, 23:52
888 at Last !!!

Mood: On the up
Don't agree, I think it looks outstanding... but then I also loved the 999 - oh well, each to his own...
Old 10-Nov-2006, 05:44
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy
Don't agree, I think it looks outstanding... but then I also loved the 999 - oh well, each to his own...
I still dont like that fuggin' ugly heatsheild!
Old 10-Nov-2006, 07:38
Mille

Mood: Built for comfort, not speed
Quote:

when I look at those 3 pics they appear to been in the wrong order of evolution (after all man hasn't gone back to walking on all fours again has he ? oh apart from that one time I was really drunk)

Actually I agree with you, if they had stuck with the single sided swing arm I may have been tempted years ago

Last edited by ducv2 : 10-Nov-2006 at 07:40.
Old 10-Nov-2006, 08:24
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
Quote:

Have to say, they all look stunning - I'd quite happily have any one of those 3.....
Old 10-Nov-2006, 08:28
Bevel Head

Having waited with anticipation for quite a while to see the new bike and read all the comments by folk about this bike,it seems to me the consenus opinion of this model is...yes it's good (I think the performance is it's main selling point) but,it doesn't grab you with a "run to your dealer now" feeling.

If this was an Aprillia,Yam,Suz etc we would all probably be fine with it,but the level of expectation with Ducati is different,whose core brand differenciation is Design (like Ferrari,MV,ALFA etc). Many of us are picking up on the Design inconcistancies i.e;

1.Exhaust/seat relationship or should I say,attractive seat with an exhaust thats being designed in isolation without ever seeing what it will be sat next to.

2.Heat shield.... say no more....buteasily sorted

3.Fairing side. This is fine but not striking,dynamic,different...back to expectations and what Ducati is known for.If you look at the images of the three bikes above,look at the sophisticated and elegant suface of the 996, the dynamic and new treatment of the 999 and then we have the 1098...which is fine but doesn't excit.

4. Lights/air intake. quite interesting,no strong feeling for or against.

These in isolation don't sound that big a problem when you put them in the context of the jap stuff (gixa 1000 exhausts,people accept them), but what you do expect with ducatis is a cohesive and sophisticated design.Look at the above images and thats what we have, even if people don't gell with the 999,its still consistent with its self.

Yes,we haven't seen it in the flesh,and yes it will grow on us but I'd be very interested to see how many deposits are being put down.I do think its biggest selling point and a great one is the performance.... but if thats al I wanted I would buy jap stuff. I want performance and DESIGN.

Address withheld for fear of having my windows stoned and burnt to the ground !!!!