Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 28-Nov-2004, 01:14
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
it is a "known" Numpty issue that affects some but not others. My guess has always been that it is down to have race specification brakes on long travel forks and the fact that at times you can ride a numpty gently by trailing the brakes, - which is a big no-no on these brakes as the pads glaze. I say that as the only time I experienced it was when out riding slowly through dark country lanes, - i was not sure of any of the bends so I began trailing the front brake, - few miles later judder started, - cured it by grabbing one hell of a handful of brake to the point where the front wheel was starting to let go; no more judder. I think these brakes are meant to be used in true race bike style, - late braking and pull em hard, - which perhaps does not suit the unusual side of the numpty in that you can ride it in a slow lazy way if you feel like it.
Old 29-Nov-2004, 00:08
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Shaun,
Ive got just the same problem with the front brake on my Multistuka.Next time it goes for a service I'm going to get the new banjo bolts fitted.Me 'ole mate Sparkin found out about the mod and the guys at Italia Moto confirmed what he said.
Summat to do with the hole down the middle of the bolt not being big enough.Effects some of the other models too aparently.
Old 29-Nov-2004, 02:37
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Thanks folks for an interesting set of replies. Now i'm not renowned for my logic, however its strange that it didn't happen for the first 3500 miles so don't see how dropping the forks or changing banjo bolt will work. Its not glazed pads from gentle braking either.

I certainly wouldn't let it put me off buying a Multilooney.

Its done it for the last 3000+ miles all the way on holiday and back. Maybe i'll ask the dealer for a new Ohlins equipped MultiS as a warranty claim to solve the prob

Certainly will try the banjo when it goes for service and let you know if theres any improvement.
Old 09-Dec-2004, 01:41
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Well the bike has been in for a service and the banjo bolt mod which i was told by the dealer cures the problem in most cases.

Unfortunately not in my case, if anything its got worse, definately feels like a warped disc now, so i think its a warranty claim for the discs next.

Personally now wonder if its the way the non floating discs are mounted to the front wheel, but i'm no technical genies ar$e.
Old 09-Dec-2004, 10:35
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
I suggested in my ealrier post that it may be a mounting thing, but having given it more thought, can't really see why. Let us know if/when you fix it will you?
Old 13-Dec-2004, 20:47

check with your ducati dealer, I've heard the 2005 MTS spec pads & discs will be available to retrofit to earlier models with the shakes ... who knows, it may even work
Old 17-Jul-2005, 00:21
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
mine is doing the same, ex demo 2000 miles. going to try lowering rebound first just to see if its packing down at the end of fork stroke as you compress forks from brake force. Has anyone dropped a wheel of another model in( if anything else fits) just to see ifits that weird wheel casting/disc fitting thats the problem. oh how i wish i had a datalogger kit.
Old 17-Jul-2005, 13:26
Mille

Mood: Relaxed
Multistrada Grabby Front Brake

Gizmo, I had the same problem on a 2003 Multistrada, like lots of other owners. Mine was so bad it almost had me off one time. Steve at Moto Italia Lincoln sorted it out for me at the 600 mile first service and I never had any problem afterwards. He just did the usual brake check and changed the pads.
Old 17-Jul-2005, 15:32
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Originally posted by ariel
Gizmo, I had the same problem on a 2003 Multistrada, like lots of other owners. Mine was so bad it almost had me off one time. Steve at Moto Italia Lincoln sorted it out for me at the 600 mile first service and I never had any problem afterwards. He just did the usual brake check and changed the pads.

its going in week after next to have the 05 upspec kit fitted, i'm intending to ask them to look at brakes as well. i'm not convinced its the brakes though, more likely fork flex or rotors flexing
Old 17-Jul-2005, 23:20
Big Twin

Have a look on multistrada.net , there has been much talk of new banjo bolts etc curing this problem. Mines been ok so far (8000 miles) Gizmo how much have you been quoted for the 05 upgrade?