Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-Jul-2016, 04:52
DSC Club Member
500SD
Bikes: Badger DD A #50, Multistrada 1200s, Aprilia Tuono 1100rr

Mood: More chilled than a polar bear's d**k
EXVL issue

As a few 1200 Muttley owners have, or will have, found out, there is an engine management fault that pops up as EXVL. This is a butterfly valve in the cat which is just before the end can goes on (EXhaust VaLve). Whip the heat shield off and you'll see it on top of the short pipe coming out of the cat, it's a quadrant+spring+cable affair (like on a throttle) and serves no purpose apart from giving a bit of back pressure when the engine chugs along at low revs.

Due to it's position and our climate, the mechanism falls foul to the infamous rust beetle and seizes up giving the EXVL error. At first a generous squirt of WD40 and manual manipulation will free it off and away you go.

One sure fire symptom of it jamming is engine revs limitation, ie it will only deliver 7000rpm in 3rd, 6000 in 4th, 5000 in 5th etc. This is due to the ECU thinking it's broke and going into 'limp home mode', causing much frustration and swearing as you'll normally be well on your journey by time it crops up.

I spoke to Ducati Manchester today about a possible ECU flash to ignore the valve but they don't know of one and to cure the issue they suggested a new one. The sticky bit is they don't come on their own, you need to buy a whole new cat for £700ish. Balls to that! After a fair bit of tinterweb searching I found that you can't simply take the end of the cable out of the quadrant because there are sensors that look for the cable being pulled back into position. The problem isn't with the butterfly, the quadrant or the cable, it's the shaft they are mounted on (with the 8mm thread on the end) becoming rusted up and not turning. Some forum threads suggest removing the shaft and replacing with a stainless steel one without the butterfly, this involves some tricky grinding as the original butterfly is fixed with 2 small screws which are spot welded in place so you need to get a grinder inside the exhaust to remove it.

This is how I overcame the problem:-

1. Remove heat shield, end can and rear foot rest hanger off (for ease of access but no real need to).

2. Remove the 8mm nut and tab washer, 12mm spanner as it's a fine thread.

3. Remove cable from quadrant.

4. Remove quadrant (the spring isn't under loads of tension but be careful).

5. Drill out centre of quadrant to 8mm (opening out the oblong hole already there).

6. Build back up in reverse order (apart from the heat shield).

The quadrant should now turn freely on the shaft without the butterfly moving.

7. Drill a 2mm hole through the shaft (on the flat part) above the nut (to accommodate some lockwire).

8. Position the butterfly in the open position and secure the shaft in position with lockwire using the hole you've drilled (there's a handy bit of bracketry there perfect for this).

This serves 2 purposes, it stops the butterfly working it's way round and closing the exhaust off and it also stops the nut from coming off.

9. Replace end can, heat shield and peg hanger.

10. Test. Quadrant should turn easily and then return when ignition is turned on.

This procedure took about an hour without any problems, swearing or blood loss, I hope this helps anyone who suffers from EXVL. Please feel free to share on any other forums.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog.
Scott #50
Old 26-Jul-2016, 11:41
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Thumbs up

There's a plug-in called a "Healtech Exhaust Servo Eliminator (ESE)" which is available for all Ducatis that have the EXVL.
They cost £44.99 plus postage and to fit you simply disconnect your exvl and plug this in instead! It really is that simple!

For the MTS1200 up to DVT mode you need the D01
For the MTS1200DVT you need the D02.

HTH!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg healtech_ese.jpg (148.5 KB, 3 views)

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 26-Jul-2016, 16:36
DSC Club Member
500SD
Bikes: Badger DD A #50, Multistrada 1200s, Aprilia Tuono 1100rr

Mood: More chilled than a polar bear's d**k
Best tell the Ducati dealers about this.
Oh hang on, they'd lose a £700 cat sale wouldn't they?! ��

And my method is free ��

It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog.
Scott #50
Old 27-Jul-2016, 11:20
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Agree completely with both points, but not everyone is willing or capable of following your free steps

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 27-Jul-2016, 12:23
Bikes: Multistrada 1200

Mood: Grumpy old man :-)
Maintenance tip!
Regularly check that the mechanism operates freely and that there is not excessive free play in the cable that operates the valve. Use an old paint brush or similar to clear any dirt that has accumulated in the spring mech and spray with ACF50 or WD40 ;-)

Exhaust valve in action 9videos......
Multistrada 1200 Exhaust Valve action / behaviour:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTBJLnEzgcY
and
Multistrada 1200 Exhaust Valve at around 3K RPM:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKKaO5pexbU

Of course the best way to go is to ditch the 'cat' box with the pesky valve altogether
http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/inde...pageId=2227905

Cheers
Andy
www.MotorcycleInfo.co.uk
and
www.MTS1200.info