Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 31-Aug-2011, 08:44
Bevel Head
Bikes: Ducati 996B, Triumph Sprint ST 955i

Smoking

After a ride on Sunday, my mates summoned the courage to tell me Tuesday that the 996 is smoking on acceleration.

I warmed it up yesterday on the side stand plus a bit of wood to get near upright and when cold there is a steady white puffing - probably condensation from a cold engine. At 40 C and above this dissapears. However, when blipping the throttle, a jet of white smoke is emmitted from the horizontal cylinder exhaust can.

I realise this could be down to a lot of different ailments but just thought I'd post up here anyway for some thoughts.
looks like the inside of the exhaust can from the horizontal cylinder is more dirty than the vertical.

Bike has been for sale at the dealers since at least March 2010 and apart from a few test rides it has been laid up there that long till I got it last week.

As the clutch is so worn & noisy I cant tell if the engine sounds abnormal - not that I would know anyway so I shall pop over to BikeTech in tamworth to let him have a look at it before I take it back to the dealers for the clutch

I've put some petrol treatment in the tank to see if it makes any difference - poss injector dirty.

On another matter, how much if any oil should a 24,000 mile engine use?
Old 02-Sep-2011, 12:37
Bevel Head

I warmed up the bike and when at just under 80C, you can make out a little smoke on blipping the throttle.

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=lf#!/pho...pe=1 &theater

Anything to worry about?
Old 03-Sep-2011, 08:37
Bevel Head

61 views and not one comment?
Come on, anyone - is the smoking abnormal????
Old 03-Sep-2011, 12:09
Big Twin
Bikes: 916SPS Ratbike + 749R Shed

Mood: Ugly girls (749) are more dirty.....
All I can say is that I have never experienced any kind of smoke issuing from my 748 or 916 exhausts - apart from condensation when bike hasn't been run for a while.
Suggest a compression check would give an indication of valve or piston ring wear.

R
Old 05-Sep-2011, 16:47
Bevel Head

Bike has been collected today with a list of defects - smoking from horizontal cylinder, clutch worn and noise from generator.

Roll on the return.
Old 05-Sep-2011, 23:22
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Hope they sort it for you
One point about the opening post, you refer to vertical and horizontal exhaust cans. On all the exhaust systems I have come across the intemediate pipe between the downpipes and the Silencers conatin a cross over that links the two pipes together, so that they are not independent of each other

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 06-Sep-2011, 15:45
Bevel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Hope they sort it for you
One point about the opening post, you refer to vertical and horizontal exhaust cans. On all the exhaust systems I have come across the intemediate pipe between the downpipes and the Silencers conatin a cross over that links the two pipes together, so that they are not independent of each other

Thanks for the help - wonder why the smoke only appears from one can then? Looking at the rear of the bike, it is the right hand pipe and the outlet is much sootier than the left.
Old 07-Sep-2011, 18:34
500SD
Bikes: CBR 600F2-(Ishikawa), Blade RRS-(Baba San), 996s-(Tambo), 996R-(Tambo), MV f1000 312-Tambo

Mood: I like my bike
If there is a link pipe then have you tried it with the can off to confirm which cylinder it is coming from. Great excuse to try it too. Had 3 and never had that problem.
Old 02-Oct-2011, 19:59
Bevel Head

Turns out the 'smoking' is unburnt fuel so all is good.
Old 02-Oct-2011, 22:00
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
And as the unburnt fuel isn't expanding like the hot exhaust gasses it tends to head straight down the pipe and out of the end can without expanding through the hole in the link pipe

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook