Old 10-Feb-2005, 03:35

Disapointed with my 749 test ride!

Hi
(1st post, after some opinions)

Been riding several years:

CBR600 (1997)
R6 (2001)
R1 (2003)

Ready for a new bike, had a go on my mates SP1, awesome! Then took the 749S out (£7500) and what a huge disappointment?!?! Looks amazing, but feels slow and cumbersome and sounds shite as standard! Clearly needs the termi exhaust upgrade, so after that, its not a cheap bike, and in my opinion very average performance. The SP1 blows it away and I suspect the 999 does’nt really offer a massive increase in power performance.

Iam desp to get a Ducati, I love them (sound, looks) but I cant help but feeling the bikes have gone a bit soft?

Spoke to an independent Ducati mechanic near to me and his opinion was, and I quote “forget the new 749,999 bikes their tosh! He told me to save my cash and get a mint used standard 996, as its the only Ducati to have! Go like FOOK, sound FOOKING amazing, and look the FOOKING ducati’s dogs!” He said if he was gonna buy a brand new twin it would be the Aprilla RSV-Factory, after that the SP2, but definitely, definitely not a new 999…

Hhmm, discuss…
Old 10-Feb-2005, 06:39
Mille

Mood: ok
suprised at what your mechanic is telling you, i prefer the 999 over the factory aprilia it seemed so much more planted than the aprilia on back to back rides as for power my 999s has a few tweaks and goes like stink. test rides is what you need to be sure
Old 10-Feb-2005, 09:29
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
Quote:
Originally posted by octo
Hi

CBR600 (1997)
R6 (2001)
R1 (2003)

Ready for a new bike, had a go on my mates SP1, awesome! Then took the 749S out (£7500) and what a huge disappointment?!?! Looks amazing, but feels slow and cumbersome and sounds <b>[Censored]</b> as standard! Clearly needs the termi exhaust upgrade, so after that, its not a cheap bike, and in my opinion very average performance. The SP1 blows it away and I suspect the 999 does’nt really offer a massive increase in power performance.

Iam desp to get a Ducati, I love them (sound, looks) but I cant help but feeling the bikes have gone a bit soft?

Spoke to an independent Ducati mechanic near to me and his opinion was, and I quote “forget the new 749,999 bikes their tosh! He told me to save my cash and get a mint used standard 996, as its the only Ducati to have! Go like FOOK, sound FOOKING amazing, and look the FOOKING ducati’s dogs!” He said if he was gonna buy a brand new twin it would be the Aprilla RSV-Factory, after that the SP2, but definitely, definitely not a new 999…

Hhmm, discuss…

well simply, i recon he's talking crap. a standard 996 doesnt sound amazing it sounds like all other standard ducati's; ok but still needs the termi's. a 999 will go quicker than a 996 in the same hands. FACT.

i'll take on someone of the same standard on my 999s if they are on an aprillia or sp2 any day. or blade or r1 for that matter. i may not trounce them but my performance wouldnt be descibed as tost im pretty sure.

the performance difference between a 749s and a 999s is fairly significant i would say. my 999s has 146 bhp and a very linear curve with bundles of torque.
Old 10-Feb-2005, 09:54
500SD

Mood: Sad my Membership icon has gone:(
I got my first Ducati last November a 749S.

It hasn't got the outright top end performance of my previous bikes but in the real world nobody runs away from me.
It sounds great and looks the dogs, I wouldn't change it.

Drive up some where amongest the many Jap bikes and the Duke is what everyone looks at!
Old 10-Feb-2005, 09:59
Big Twin

Quote:
Hi

CBR600 (1997)
R6 (2001)
R1 (2003)

Ready for a new bike, had a go on my mates SP1, awesome! Then took the 749S out (£7500) and what a huge disappointment?!?! Looks amazing, but feels slow and cumbersome and sounds <b>[Censored]</b> as standard! Clearly needs the termi exhaust upgrade, so after that, its not a cheap bike, and in my opinion very average performance. The SP1 blows it away and I suspect the 999 does’nt really offer a massive increase in power performance.
I test rode the 749 and 999 (admittedly 2003) back to back, and the difference was significant.
Got a 999 on the strength of it.
Old 10-Feb-2005, 10:08
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
Quote:
Hi

CBR600 (1997)
R6 (2001)
R1 (2003)

Hhmm, discuss…

So the last current bike is a 2003 R1, that the same as my previous bike. So first I would say of course the 749 seems slow. So test ride your old R6 that will seem slow as well.

For a better comparison test an R6, then a 748 then a 749. That should give you a much better comparison.

Or test an SP2 then a 996/998 then a 999

By comparing like with like you will be an to choose on what you think, not on what your mechanic thinks.

Rob
Old 10-Feb-2005, 10:29
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

I don't know much about the Superebikes, but in running my 750 SS with 900SS's, I of course noticed the major power difference, especially on the highway. Probably similar to the 749/999 comparo. But I found my self at the head of the pack in very tight Mt roads with unending curves. I was always on the power band, kind of like a 2-stroke, with short blasts from turn to turn. I came out smiling, but my buddies all had very sore wrists and shoulders. With the 749/999 though, there doesn't seem to be much weight difference, so I don't know if all of that would hold true. You may be able to stay on the power more often in real tight stuff though as the engine is not as explosive.
Old 10-Feb-2005, 11:26
Big Twin

Mood: My K5 Rocks !!!!
What a load of tosh !

Just read all the latest mag's mate SP1 V RSV V 999

Lets just say....it was a walk in the park..... The 999 is the king of twins :P
Old 10-Feb-2005, 11:35

Right, going back this weekend to try the 999. Iam not gonna go on the R1, Iam gonna borrow my grans skoda instead...
Old 10-Feb-2005, 11:36
Mille

Mood: Need spares
Everyone has there own opions and likes bikes for differnent qualities. I myself have owned similar bikes in the past as octo can maybe understand what he says on a first ride opinion.

I for one though would never give up my 749 now, I know it might be lacking in the power but its the experience of riding it that counts for me. I've never known anything like it compared to the jap bikes. Its the looks you get, people talking to you when you pull up. I even had car drivers wind down their window while your passing them and say "Nice Bike Mate". Its a winner for me everytime. I also ride a Kwak ZX12R and when it comes to the choice the Ducati is out of the garage more often.

I know when the 749 comes up for replacement it will be with another Ducati.
tricky.