Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Apr-2009, 18:30

Red face in need of advice on 996s

hello to all im new to this site and lookin forward to chattin to any 1 , ive been on the other side for years (fours) and are now very lookin forward to buying my fisrt ducati but big but is reliability !!!!!!!! can any one help and put my mind to rest i have 6 grand to spend and would like a trick 996 998 whats best and what do i lok for cheers guys
Old 04-Apr-2009, 20:33
500SD

Mood: Happy as Larry!!!
Hi, if you go for a 996 make sure it's got full Ducati service history & make sure the rockers have been checked, as the chrome has a tendancy to come off & cause problems!
I've had both 996 & 998, i find the 998 engine to be smoother/quieter, but to be honest £6k won't really get you a trick 998!

Now here comes the big sell, i've got a mate selling a 916SPS(they are actually 996 engines), it's a nice bike with some trick mods, just slightly out of your budget, but he's open to offers!!
Old 09-Apr-2009, 16:16
500SD
Bikes: CBR 600F2-(Ishikawa), Blade RRS-(Baba San), 996s-(Tambo), 996R-(Tambo), MV f1000 312-Tambo

Mood: I like my bike
if you don't mind a few miles on the clock. http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk... rch_full.y=12
Owned both and the 998 is definitely smoother to be honest. It also has the p4 brakes which are a definite improvement on the wooden jobs from the 996.
Service history a real advantage. Reliability definitely not an issue on the 998 afterall they had been making it for so long by then they should have sorted out all the issues.