Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-May-2009, 19:30
Mille

Mood: suns out...happpy!!!brm brm
996 coughing and spluttering

below 30 its a bit of a pain to ride because it pops coughs and splutters...i understand the fueling's prob out but is this something that you can adjust yourself or do you need a flash machine at a garage??anyone know?
Old 19-May-2009, 19:54
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Low Throttle Operation

If it’s running poorly at idle and low throttle openings you first need to make sure that the TPS is set properly and the idle speed and mixture set correctly. In particular, you or your dealer need to set the idle mixture via the ECU trim pot using an exhaust gas analyzer.

That said, 996’s have a known problem with a low speed misfire at 3500rpm.

Dual Injectors/Single Injector Conversion

All 996's came with two injectors per cylinder. Before the 996 model, only the SP and SPS bikes had dual injectors. However, those earlier bikes use the larger P8 computer which is capable of firing the injectors sequentially, meaning that the second injector sprays only at the higher engine speeds.

The 996, on the other hand, is controlled by the smaller 1.6M computer which is incapable of firing the injectors sequentially. So the engine does not run well with both injectors firing at the same time, especially at low rpms where spray durations get too short to get good spray patterns. The fuel dribbles out.

According to FIM, dual injectors are not needed unless you're making more than 120HP, and so they have developed a single injector chip for the 996.

Read more about it here:
http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/996eproms2.html

This is a quote from FIM's site:

"We have two UltiMaps for the 996 Biposto '99/2000 model. There have been many problems with these models spitting on low throttle or cruise at low speeds. We have finally made a chip which cures the problem (type UM222), but requires that one injector be disconnected from each cylinder. This is because the 996 has two injectors hard-wired in the harness and we can't switch one off like we can with the 996SPS or early 888 computers. The benefit is that the single injector spits more cleanly at low durations than two injectors do ( because they have only half the time each) and idle and low throttle repsonse is heaps better. We remapped a 996 with this mod and the difference is incredible. We do sell a twin injector verison of the same chip (type UM221), but in most cases the UM222 works better, and is worth the effort."

http://www.fuelinmoto.com.au/

According to Brad Black, a respected tuner:

The UM222 single injector EPROM cures the 996 misfire that occurs when you roll the throttle open at 3,500 rpm. The UM222 is only for models fitted with strada cams, not models having SPS etc. cams. Typically it happens when you get it to 3,500 rpm. Duh duh duh duh vroom. Not 3,000 rpm. Not 4,000 rpm.

THIS IS THE ONLY MISFIRE THE UM222 SINGLE INJECTOR EPROM CURES OR IS INTENDED TO CURE.
Old 19-May-2009, 21:15
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
All very good, but FIM aren't trading any more.
Maybe there's some 222's in dealer stock somewhere but there's no warranty support from FIM.

Is there any alternaive chip to sort the single injector conversion?
Old 19-May-2009, 21:22
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
For what it's worth - Nelly did the single injector conversion on mine a couple of years back and it made a world of difference in real world riding.
Old 19-May-2009, 21:55
Mille

phew...all gone whizzing over my head,im assuming by all that i need to take it to a dealer to sort then!..thanks for the info by the way guys!
Old 19-May-2009, 23:28
500SD

Mood: YELLOW!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBs996
All very good, but FIM aren't trading any more.
Maybe there's some 222's in dealer stock somewhere but there's no warranty support from FIM.

Sigma had some FIM stock remaining for the 748R last week, so they may still also have some 996 kit as well.

I also think I was offered a secondhand UM222 by someone when I was on the lookout for a 748R chip the week before last. I'll check and repost.

EDIT: Yep. There ya go. The UM222 is no good to me, so please feel free to drop him a PM: http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/sh...49&postcount=2

Last edited by zhed44 : 19-May-2009 at 23:36.
Old 20-May-2009, 01:09
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Zhed, that's my boy Craig!
He didn't offer it to me... must have a few words about that one!
Old 20-May-2009, 10:14
Mille

thanks zhed ill give it a shot,much appreciated
Old 20-May-2009, 10:22
Mille

I had my injection "set up" by MD Racing in Leatherhead when he did a full service - transformed the bike top job