Ducati Sporting Club UK
Ducati Insurance - Questions and Answers!
This section allows you to ask questions about insurance directly to Ducati Insurance and receive a reply!

Old 03-Apr-2004, 10:42
500SD

Mood: mmmm....yellow!
Updated: Insuremyducati (don\'t)rule!

They got the quote wrong!! Got the paperwork today which didnt mention the non BSI approved cans. I rang up & queried it & they said they'd have a listen to the recording of the phone call between me & the guy who took my details. anyway, they rang me back at 4.30pm tonight apologising, saying they had got it wrong & couldnt provide cover for the prce mentioned, with non BSI cans. they asked me to send back the paperwork & that was that! Glad in a way, cos Benntetts are cheaper

So, back to the yellow Pages for me!!

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by lane748]
Old 03-Apr-2004, 10:51
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
contacted them on earlier this week and was told i would would be contacted by an advisor they never phoned back so took my money to Bennetts instead
Old 03-Apr-2004, 15:43
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Um - note to this:
If your cans/system are illegal for use on the public highway, they are not covered for insurance purposes for the same.

Make sure you have written confirmation from any company you insure with, explicitly mentioning that your illegal system is covered, otherwise your insurance is only fit for the production of documents at a police staion and nothing else.

My daughter (Bex) is an underwriter, and confirms that there are several companies on the scene that state they will cover anything: happy at the low price the customer pays!
Then should said customer have an accident, the company either draws their attention to the small print or withdraws their insurance as the bike was illegally on the highway.

The final twist in the coffin, is that once you have the documentation from the company, and read the small print, you will be probably be charged up to (or even over) 30% of the payment you have made - if you want the premium refunded - even before the insurance has commenced.

Sorry to be a 'wet blanket' but you must get these things clarified before parting with your money.

I'm not saying that any company mentioned on this forum is doing this, but just trying to make others aware of this growing problem in the bike (and car) industry.

C
Old 03-Apr-2004, 20:53
500SD

They said to me that even though the cans were non-BSI, the only time they wouldnt pay out is if the cans were responsible for a claim- i.e: They jumped off the bike & went under the front wheel.

Some of the boy racers on the road have changed the engines in their novas to 2 litres- I bet they havent declared that to their Insurance co. Cans are just noise nothing else. Why they are "illegal" is beyoned me, especially when you hear a Harley or a KTM at full chat
Old 03-Apr-2004, 22:29

I have a confirmation letter from my insurance company which says

"You have advised us that the exhaust system fitted to your motorcycle is non standard. We confirm that this has been noted and in the event of a claim subject to terms, exclusions and conditions ofthe policy we will indemnify you in full in respect of this.
We are not qualified to comment on the legality of exhaust systems."

This is probably as good as I am going to get in terms of an acceptance / acknowledgement of my termis

What do you think?
Ian
Old 07-Apr-2004, 19:21
500SD

Who was that with?
Old 08-Apr-2004, 08:02
Mille

Carol Nash and H & R will both cover bikes with non standard zorsts. They will charge you upto £100 more for a year than with standard zorsts and use a specific underwriter. (H & R use Highway). They will explain the difference between the underwriters when you ask for a quote.

They will happily confirm that your Termis or whatever are covered over the phone but are very reluctant to give you this in writing because they dont want to be construed to be condoning the use of a non legal bike - so when they send the forms out for you to sign and return write on the form the person you spoke to (full name), the time, date, contact no/extension and the details you agreed. Take a photocopy and send it back.

In the event of a claim they stipulate that they will only replace your aftermarket parts with standard - but that the claim will be processed with no problems.
Old 08-Apr-2004, 16:11
Bevel Head

Mood: Stressed as usual!
If the rate from Bennetts is with Groupama Insurance as they usually are with the 748's, then you should check that the insurance is valid as they do not usually cover non BSI exhausts.

Sorry we made a mistake with the underwriter with whom we placed you. We try and provide a first class service and in this instance we didn't and we hold up our hands.

We do have many underwriters who will cover non standard exhausts and a few who will do the non BSI exhausts.
Old 08-Apr-2004, 17:32
Mille

try www.ducati-insurance.co.uk

if you are a DSC member tell them your membership number

SAJ
Old 14-Apr-2004, 19:54
500SD

Ok, just rang Ducati Insurance, told them I had non road use cans on & didnt matter to them. £150 inc leagl cover, which is £9 cheaper than my current one (who didnt know about the cans)

I asked them to put it ALL in writing. They said it didnt matter about the cans because in the event of a claim, the insurers will not replace the cans, should they become damaged- they will just fit standard ones on.