Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 25-Sep-2005, 21:46
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by butch890
whatever you do the very first thing BEFORE you change anything is to note down the settings that you have now.
That way if it all goes tits up you can go back to the starting point.
Butch
Yep and dont go for extreme suspension setting changes in one go.Adjust in small amounts and test the bike each time.Use the same route,hopefully with lots of bends,and note down what you like or dislike about the feel.
I got my 999bip right for me virtually straight away.The 'S' has taken 4 months.
The Showa'd bip was easy to set up as the standard rear shock settings were ideal for me.The front had slightly too much preload,so that was wound out by two rings.A little extra compression damping,and the front was sorted.
To make the bike turn in quicker,two turns of the ride height adjuster did the trick.
Old 25-Sep-2005, 23:42
Big Twin

Easiest thing is phone and ask him I guess. He charges the BSB boys £250 for setting them up, so the £40 we got charged was a bargain by those standards. The advantage of doing it at a track day is you go out an try it, come back and tell him what you thought and he tweaks a few bits (if you want) so you can see the difference. You get the settings written down (before and after) too so you could revert to previous setup if you wanted.

Here are contact details

Colin Leeder
0771 549 0888
Old 26-Sep-2005, 01:00
888 at Last !!!

I have the Section8 set up on my Duc and i'm pleased with it.
Old 26-Sep-2005, 10:35
Big Twin

I have Ohlins forks on my 749R, I presume the 4 rings showing applys to the Showa forks as mine has only got 1 ring just showing ?

I find my bike is like a bucking bronco on a rough road, it seems to lift me out of my seat at times and the front forks seem hard to me, I am about 10 1/2 stone in weight.

I should check the settings as it has not been checked to see if it is set at the original settings, I have only backed the rear rebound off a couple of clicks.

Any tips ?
Old 26-Sep-2005, 10:56
Big Twin

Ian, the most likely cause is lack of rebound damping (probably on the front). This is how you check it ...

First - make a not of the current settings! The rebound adjuster is right on the top with a screw slot. Wind it in and count the clicks. DO NOT force it too tight, just until it stops.

Then you can wind it right out (won't come right out) and adjust as below.

The compression adjuster screw is located up under the bottom of the fork leg (or is on my Showa forks) - accessed throuhg a hole in the front spindle. So long as the hole in the spindle is in line with the veterical axis of the fork leg you should be able to get a small slot screwdriver up there and onto the adjuster. Wind it all the way in until it stops counting the clicks. THen wind it out to the same position it was in before.

You now have your base settings.

Ajusting REBOUND ...
Hold the front brake and push down hard on the front. Let it come back up and watch carefully what happens when it gets to the top of it's travel. If it goes past the usual heighest point (this is the sag measure ment where it settles on the springs normally) and then returns down to the hghest point then you do not have enough rebound damping. This causes the pogo effect.

TO adjust, wind the TOP adjust screw in one click at a time and retest. This will slow the rebound. YOu should get to a point where it just returns ni a controlled manner up to the highest point and stops rather than bounce past it. When you think you have the right setting, back it off one click and recheck that it bounces past again then return to the optimum setting.

If you have dificulty pushing the forks down then it might be that you have loads of compression damping on, which controls the speed of the forks going down. Wind the bottom screw out a few clicks so you can move the forks easier then try again. Return the bottom screw to it's original position after.

It is not so easy to check the compression damping, as unless youhave loads of experience setting them up and know where to start it needs road testing/tweaking/re-testing until you are happy with it. Main thing is to get the rebound sorted though to stop it bouncing about.

Rear shock can be set up for rebound in the same way ... the rebound adjuster is the one on the BOTTOM this time and the compression adjuster is the one on the REMOTE cylinder.