Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-Sep-2005, 21:48
Mille

Mood: dooM
\'Fluffy\' throttle response at low revs

Hi all,

My 748 throttle response has become quite unresponsive at low revs. It seems to show up most with around town riding and if I go to blip the throttle between down changing, it seems to be a bit 'fluffy' (sorry, can't think how else to describe it).

I have checked cable / throttle freeplay and that is within spec. The bike is soon due its 18k mile service so wonder if it is just where it is ready for a tune.

BTW bike is running on 45mm open Termignoni and hi-flow filter with standard ECU chip. It has always run in this configuration since I have owned it, except it used to have 45mm open Microns. I don't remember having the problem with the Microns but I can't believe changing to Termignonis would make a difference.

Any ideas anyone?

H
Old 11-Sep-2005, 22:11
Mille

Mood: thrash the bitch
I must confess in being no expert but I would presume you need to upgrade to a performance e-prom, they work much better with Termi`s than with the standard chip and will change the fueling to give you a better throttle response.
I recently purchase a chip from JHP Ducati Coventry it came the next day and cost just under £30, I am sure someone else will come along that will give you much better advise than me, good luck with your problem.
Old 11-Sep-2005, 22:15
Big Twin

hmm standard chip needs to be changed or fit pc3.

Old 12-Sep-2005, 03:44
Big Twin

Don't know if its the same, but an asymmetric Termi system fitted to my 749 gave me exactly the same 'fluffy' throttle response.

Turns out it was running way too lean, a PCIII and a trip to JHP sorted that out!

Does it bang/pop at low revs with closed throttle? If so, its another symptom of lean running.
Old 12-Sep-2005, 10:02
GTL

Mood: I want to come home ::(:but then
You definatly need to change the chip. But you also say that it needs servicing so it could also be fuel or air filter, probably both
Old 12-Sep-2005, 15:14
Bevel Head

Mood: Feel like a Duke...
I could be completely wrong on this one, but have you checked the throttle sensor? I was having similar problems at low revs (the engine was engaging and disengaging too abruptly), and the mecs realised my sensor needed adjustment. Just a thought...
Old 15-Sep-2005, 00:35
Mille

Mood: dooM
So THAT is what a Ducati is supposed to rev like! Just fitted a JHP chip and all my problems have vanished! Much better at low revs and soooo much smoother under acceleration. Thanks for your suggestions guys
Old 15-Sep-2005, 00:44
GTL

Mood: I want to come home ::(:but then
Another happy customer
Old 18-Sep-2005, 16:22
Bevel Head

Mood: ;)
mine is suffering from similar problem...pops loudly on overrun and ,when u blip throttle on down changes it doesnt rev - just flat kinda....also farts / splutters and faulters on acceleration around 3000 rpm ....should it pull from low rpm?
this 996 has a performance chip but maybe wrong one??
Old 25-Sep-2005, 03:14
Bevel Head

Mood: ;)
where does one get a JHP chip from - price?