Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Mar-2004, 11:40
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.
Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids
Strange things bikes, don't always behave as you expect, I raced the original TL1000SV for a couple of years with fairly good results, usually finishing between 4th and 7th place and 6th overall in the NG clubs SoT championship. And yes the slap happy standard bike was improved by dropping the front slightly and raising the rear, this also works on all the Jap IL4s that we have taken to the isle of man, Last year we ran the R6 with the Ohlins rear at Maximum length, the year before we ran Weeksy's old blade with a Ohlins set at maximum length.
Anybody noticed how hard it is to turn the front wheel from side to side when the tyre is flat, well we use the same principle by increasing the weight bias on the front end to force the tyre into the tarmac.
Strangely I dont find this works so well on my Dukes, mainly because with the standard bike you cant get enough weight on to the front without suffering excrutiating wrist ache and rear traction problem. Solution longer lighter swingarm to improve front bias and rear traction, run the bike long and raked out then steer it on the power, amazing how light the steering gets when the backend is digging in and trying to lift the front.

Best tip, set it up so that it suits your style then try to understand where the limits are and ride accordingly.

Hi Skidlids,

Yep, I know what you mean about the TL1000s.

I also here what you are saying about the front of the Ducatis. I tend to agree about better steering on the power. Now, i know that im no racer and if i were to go onto the track i would find out just how slow i really am. But i tend to find that my bike tends to steer better when still on the power as opposed to closing the throttle.

I suppose that im just starting out on the long road to Ducati ownership and tweaking that many people like you guys, who have been at it for years.

Cheers,

DC.