Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 02-Jan-2006, 19:10
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
70kgs..........you and me alike..........

I know my wheels are the forged ones not mag...but they are lighter than the std 999.......and i cant tell!
Old 02-Jan-2006, 19:16
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
Quote:
Originally posted by andyb
Ive got the slipper, and the light weight wheels (999R)
Full 57mm termi and pc111R..............They all make a difference, but people still pass me on the track!

yeah, bloody pain those mopeds aren't they
Old 02-Jan-2006, 19:19
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally posted by dickieducati
Quote:
Originally posted by andyb
Ive got the slipper, and the light weight wheels (999R)
Full 57mm termi and pc111R..............They all make a difference, but people still pass me on the track!

yeah, bloody pain those mopeds aren't they

Come in No74, your times up!
Old 02-Jan-2006, 19:48
Big Twin

Mood: r
slipper,worth every penny. had carbon/mag wheels on the old 998s,slipper, before i px it i did a track day at donington,the bike was put back to standard. one thing i missed the most was the slipper more than anything.
Old 02-Jan-2006, 20:28
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
this months Superbike magazine has an article on the pros and cons of carbon wheels, would be worth a read
Old 02-Jan-2006, 20:36
Big Twin

Mood: r
is that the bike mag that praised the (old)999r a year or so ago.then now (999s) is not so good.its the same bike bar carbon fairing & wheels. strange
Old 02-Jan-2006, 20:55
Montjuic

Mood: crank it and bank it
I have to check out the article, although I'm really only intersted in magnesium as I have had to many friends have problems with buckling and tire changing on the carbon wheels so not sure if the articule will help but its worth a read, cheers
Old 02-Jan-2006, 21:28
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
Quote:
Originally posted by pedro
is that the bike mag that praised the (old)999r a year or so ago.then now (999s) is not so good.its the same bike bar carbon fairing & wheels. strange

dunno about the 999 contrdiction mate, different test riders, different opinions maybe. I don't pay much attention to subjective stuff like that, if I did I would be riding a CBR600RR just now, but they did do some measurement with the wheels. They did a pretty scientific study on tyres last year, which was interesting.

cheers

Derek
Old 12-Jan-2006, 10:10
Montjuic

Hi

I have ridden lots of modern stuff including a gixer1000k3 on and off track, I run a 749R and feel the Mag wheels make the difference, although heavy (the bike not the wheels) compared to a lot of modern jap sports bikes it still feels lighter through the bends on the road or track.

Obviously the bikes set up makes a difference as do the tyres you use, I guess its a cost thing but do not forget you can always remove them and sell them on after you change bikes and recoup some money.

Slipper clutch I agree make a difference but in real world road riding the benifits are limited. Unlike the lighter wheels which you will feel the difference straight away and all the time (until of course you get used to them and forget you have them fitted).

Regards

DaveO
Old 12-Jan-2006, 11:07
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Quote:
Originally posted by pedro

It's not the same bike though.... Does the S get Ti rods? plus the R gets a shorter stroke motor and close ratio box which the S doesn't from memory, same as the old 998S/996R arguement etc