Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-Jan-2009, 22:50
500SD

Mood: YELLOW!!!
Aftermarket or Trackday Fairings

I want to put the 748R's fairings and seat unit out of harms way and fit some cheaper (and less nickable) fairings on the bike.

They need to be the sort with light cutouts and I'd also much prefer to get some that are pre-drilled and where the seat unit comes ready to be fitted with the bracketry and pad (ie: no further modification needed).

Any recommendations?

There's a chap on eBay who sells a pair of fairings, a top fairing, seat unit, V-piece and front mudguard, all painted, stickered and pre-drilled for £250 + £125 shipping from Hong Kong, which almost seems too good to be true. He's also got brilliant feedback. Does anyone know of anyone who has bought and fitted a set from him? Here's an example: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=140293319478

I'd also consider buying a set of scruffy OE fairings in yellow, if anyone knows of any going cheap (no canary jokes please).

Thanks

Last edited by zhed44 : 09-Jan-2009 at 23:45.
Old 09-Jan-2009, 23:10
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

An option:

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/...9161994-01.htm

Cheers - Frank
Old 10-Jan-2009, 08:51
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Dave at H.C.Racetech did these ones for me.

http://www.hcracetech.co.uk/80720/info.php?p=5

Other pics here http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/sh...highlight=748R

Chris
Old 10-Jan-2009, 09:41
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
id go for a spare set of originals.......ebay theres loads for that series i bet you could make a set up get them painted how you want....much better fit than any aftermarket stuff......
Old 10-Jan-2009, 10:52
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
At £270 for a full kit, that includes a seat unit of your choice compared to £245 for just a seat unit, think i know which way i would go

Chris
Old 10-Jan-2009, 11:14
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.p
At £270 for a full kit, that includes a seat unit of your choice compared to £245 for just a seat unit, think i know which way i would go

Chris

I know which one would fit...and first time...........and be of better quality......
Old 10-Jan-2009, 12:01
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
If its for a road bike, I reckon you're better off getting the OEM ones (and painting them up yourself, if they need it). These would fit perfectly (as AndyB says) and will be a lot stronger too...
Tim
Old 10-Jan-2009, 12:40
500SD

Mood: YELLOW!!!
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll follow up some of the leads suggested.

Re: OE fairings: These usually go for approx £100 a full side, about the same for the top fairing, £40 for a mudguard and £260+ for the seat = £600 or more.

I'm not particularly bothered about the panels looking perfect in terms of fit or paint quality etc because although it's primarily a road bike, it will be doing a few trackdays. In fact, I actually want to make the bike look a bit less desirable, or more specifically, less desirable to the underclass, who seem to think it is perfectly OK to remove anything that takes their fancy.

Hence, while scruffy OE would be perfectly fine, mint fairings would be a waste of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.p

Chris

Looks good - how was the fit? Any mods required? How much for the paint, and who did it?

One more question (like Columbo) - does the endurance style fairing require a different headlamp, or is it literally just a round cut-out over the OE lamp? Finally, are they full (ie: not just daytime) MOT compliant?

Actually that was 3 more questions

Thanks

Last edited by zhed44 : 10-Jan-2009 at 20:36.
Old 10-Jan-2009, 12:58
Big Twin

Mood: Hmmm Conference season
Forget the stuff from Hong Kong, It really is pants, Colours are wrong and the fit is awfull. As Tim suggests OEM is the way forward