Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 16-Apr-2006, 22:11
Mille

Fitting Termi\'s and an open clutch cover........

to a 2006 749.

I have them both already and was going to get them put on at the first service,but am finding that i cant wait to hear the growl (300 miles in).

Is it a hard job fitting the Termi's,for someone whose mechanical experience stretches as far as fitting a new tail piece and side panels to a Monster,but who is willing to try? The thing is if i wait and let the dealership fit them at the service,i have to drive them down 80 miles,then drive the bike down again,then back in the car to pick up the standard bits.

I have the Termi end piece,ecu,and a long pipe,so does the pipe bit mean i have a full system? Also i heard once they are fitted they need to be set up properly,so could i fit them and ride with them not 'set up',and then let the dealer do the tweaking? I wont be causing any damage?

The clutch cover,is it just a question of off with the old one,and on with the new? Nothing i need to know? As its a dry clutch,im guessing no oil pours out once the cover is off?

Thanks gents.
Old 16-Apr-2006, 22:22
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Clutch cover is easy. Just unbolt, replace and torque. If you've got a Ducati clutch cover the instructions in the pack cover everything. Make sure you've got a torque wrench for the bolts and you're sorted. If you haven't already, get some new springs and end caps. The original springs rust so you want some stainless ones, and get some anodised end caps while you're at it.

Dseered has just fitted a Termi system, so give him a shout re. fitting. I had mine done by my dealer.
Old 16-Apr-2006, 22:32
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Easy enough to fit the pipe and end can, only basic tools needed and simple logic.

As for the ecu .... sorry no idea how easy or what is involved.

You mentioned an 80 mile drive to pick up the standard parts after your dealer has swapped them over .... may be cheaper to ask your dealer to box them up and send them to you via a courier or similar.
Old 16-Apr-2006, 22:45
Mille

Probably will,although i still have to get the Termi's down there. Guess one car journey is enough.

How about this 'setting up' business. You think it could wait till the service?
Old 17-Apr-2006, 00:13
Mille

Mood: Sparks will fly. If it keeps on
Fit the pipe yourself. Just have a slower drive to the dealers to have the service and the ecu set up.
Old 17-Apr-2006, 00:45
Mille

You think i should leave it a while? Only got 300 miles on the clock at the mo,service at 600/1000k.

And can i fit the pipe and end can and leave the ecu as the standard one,for the dealer to do?
Old 17-Apr-2006, 07:29
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by Nick Pavey
You think i should leave it a while? Only got 300 miles on the clock at the mo,service at 600/1000k.

And can i fit the pipe and end can and leave the ecu as the standard one,for the dealer to do?
Nah,fit it whenever.My 999S had its system fitted from brand new.
Sounds like you have the assymetric system and not the full 2-1-2 jobbie.Fairly straight forward to fit,....jusy dont expect to fit it in 5 minutes.If you are not confident swirling the spanners,allow half a day.
The ecu is a bitch of a thing to change,..its down there under the battery,..and there are a few bits to remove to gain access.I would leave the fitting of the ecu to the dealer,...he can then set it up at the same time.Chances are the air/fuel mixture will be weekened,so dont thrash the bike untill its fitted.
Old 17-Apr-2006, 22:38
Mille

Thanks to everybody for thier help. Did the clutch cover this morning with no trouble,felt a little brave and went for the Termi's after lunch. Took 2 ish hrs i would say,start to finish.

Hardest bit i think was remembering what bolt went where when it came to putting it all back together.

Didn't fit the ecu (thanks for the help there Keefy),had a look and couldn't even see the battery! Does this mean i am running lean now then? And does that mean i have less horses than a set up system,but more than standard? Or less than standard?!!

The termi system i have has 'for race use only' on the underside,so i'm guessing it's not road legal? Are all termi's like that,or have i got a super loud system?

Thanks once again gents,as you can see i'm a bit of a bike newb. Who'se for a cold one?
Old 17-Apr-2006, 22:53
Mille

Have sort of a communal courtyard area that i did the fitting in so the wife banned me from starting it like that,but i was very tempted!

How's it sound?
Old 17-Apr-2006, 22:58
Big Twin

DSR - you got termi?!?!?!
I'm saving up for clutch cover so it'd be interesting to see a blow by blow account of how you did it - by all accounts-easy peasy

[Edited on 17-4-2006 by guest1]