Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-Apr-2009, 19:02
Mille

Simple maintenance questions

I have covered my chain tension instructions (I know pretty stupid of me) with a swingarm protector & now want to adjust the chain tension & wondered if someone would post what it says on the label.
According to my handbook my chain is way too tight but it was adjusted by the dealer at it's last service nearly a year ago & I remember checking it to the label & not thinking there was a problem.

Other one is brake pad wear. The handbook mentions a brake wear groove & also 1mm min. My brake pads don't seem to have this groove & I am wondering if it has worn off or whether there wasn't a groove in the first place. I have also noticed that my brake pads have 2 different sizes of friction material stuck to the metal back plate but they seem to be fitted randomly. Can anyone tell me whether the large friction pad should be at the top or the bottom?

How do you remove the brake pad retaining clip? Do I just pull in the direction of the arrow once I have removed the caliper from the bike?
Old 17-Apr-2009, 19:22
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
1. The chain tension sticker is shown in the owners handbook, towards the back.

2. There should be minimum 1mm friction material left stuck to the backing plate. Less than this means your markers have run out, more than this probably means there were no markers to start with!

3. Yes, just pull the plate.
Old 17-Apr-2009, 20:33
Mille

1. I thought there was more of an explanation than shown on the label in the handbook.

2. There is approx. 2.5mm so probably no markers in first place.

Any ideas about location of large & small pad material?

3. Pliers or something special?
Old 17-Apr-2009, 20:58
Ducati in my Blood

1. Dunno!
2. Most have markers in my experience, but some don't. No idea about the other bit... the ones I changed last weekend had 2 bits the same size iirc.
3. I unhooked the pads first then the top spring clip was free enough to pull with fingers.
Old 17-Apr-2009, 21:04
Mille

Where do you measure the 33-35 mm from swingarm or chain rail?

I had expected the pads to be either 1 piece of friction material or 2 bits the same size so was surprised to see 2 different sizes.

Not sure what you mean by unhooked? I have only ever removed pads with pins at the top so not used to this way of fastening. Not that I will be removing them.
Old 17-Apr-2009, 21:56
Ducati in my Blood

The 33-35mm is the chain slack, i.e. how far up and down you can move the chain. Measured approx at the half way point between the front/rear sprockets. This doesn't have to be exact, but so long as you spin the wheel until you find the tightest part (there'll almost certainly be a tight spot on the chain) - sorry if I'm telling you how to suck eggs!

Take the callipers off (two bolts) then push the pads up against the top spring and move the pad inboard, it'll all be obvious when you do it. When you put the callipers back on make sure you torque the calliper bolts properly - 40Nm. Have a go, what's the worst that could happen!! It's a job that ought to be done frequently anyway in order to keep the bits clean that you can't see and stop the road grime damaging the seals - toothbrush (your wifes, not yours) and a squirt of brake cleaner.
Old 17-Apr-2009, 22:21
Mille

I thought the 33-35mm was a measurement down from the swingarm (or chain shoe) to the pin rather than a measurement of how far up/down? This is one of the reasons I was asking about the label as there seems to be different answers depending on what you read.

Thanks for the explanation, getting the pads out sounds easy enough. I don't really like cleaning the bike - it's only there to be ridden. A one off clean before p/x is enough for any bike or car.
Old 18-Apr-2009, 00:20
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Does a pic help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chain adj.JPG (73.9 KB, 18 views)

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 18-Apr-2009, 10:56
Montjuic
Bikes: MS1200S, T150V

Mood: Hopeful
Smile

[quote=pbrown]I thought the 33-35mm was a measurement down from the swingarm (or chain shoe) to the pin rather than a measurement of how far up/down? This is one of the reasons I was asking about the label as there seems to be different answers depending on what you read.

You are dead right, it is not the total chain displacement. This is due to the design of the swingarm. Worse, my 1098 handbook was wrong, the label on the swingarm showed (just sold 1098) correct instructions i.e. measured from aluminium part of swingarm.

Overtightening the chain was the cause of that sprocket recall.

Norm.
Old 18-Apr-2009, 11:35
Ducati in my Blood

Sorry, Norm's right. Measurement from the swingarm cos the chain will touch the swingarm before all the slack is taken up so not possible to measure deflection.
The sticker and the handbook say different things!