Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-May-2004, 20:27
Mille

Mood: Super (moto!)
Wow!
Lots of emphasis on that last post.

The spec on the 748r is the same as all Dukes. It changes every year.

Thus the Showa shocks front and rear are standard.
The front end was squirming (the only way I can describe it really) off the power, once you were on the power, it was fine, so I think it was this bike from OnYerBike.

Unimpresed over-all, all but the engine to be truthful.
This bike had the lightweight wheels & felt different from the off.
Those wheels make a massive diffence and if you think otherwise - you need to ride the 748 bip.
It seemed to need more attention and just sometimes, I want to enjoy my fav back roads.
Baldock - Buntingford
The Ring
Due at Fort Willian this w/end
Get the drift?
Am I asking too much?

I need to try a sorted bike as I am going off the whole project!

aws(ome)

[Edited on 9-5-2004 by aws]
Old 09-May-2004, 20:57
Mille

Mood: FIVE!!!!Guess We'll Keep It
i have got a 2000 'R',showa frt and rear(i remember the late Ronnie Smith of Performance Bike not getting on with a Ohlins equipped bike,he liked the showa better!!),shower injectors etc.i jumped off a procession of jap stuff,my last one being a sorted marlboro r6 .Once i got used to the duke it ****ed all over the r6.fueling is crap below 4k,mines got 50mm ti termis and a dp chip(soon to changed).it could be the way the previous owner has set the suspension up.38t rear going on mine in next week.clutch is heavy but you live with it,mine gets used to commute as well as the usual fun on the way home!had 207rr's on the r6,suited that bike and i thought they were great tyres at the time,lot better tyres available now.Not everyone with the later ones will have the "free termis"with the bike as they will have probably been sold privately.think you may have just ridden a bit of a dog,maintenance can be a bit expensive but then you don't buy a ferrari and get it serviced at halfords.keep looking and you will get good one.
Old 09-May-2004, 21:01
Mille

Mood: FIVE!!!!Guess We'll Keep It
throttle response can be down to the play in the cable,when i bought mine and rode it home fron dealers it felt like it had 2ft of play,had to give it a big handful to blip on downchanges,got home,adjusted cable went back out loads better.it still spits a little on the overrun and now and then will cutout but not sure whether thatsdown to the chip or just the general fuel injection setup!!
Old 09-May-2004, 22:20
Mille

Mood: Super (moto!)
748r \"v\" 996(s) who has the inside track?

If you have read my 748R post you'll know that the bike is less than user friendly.
Whilst the engine is awsome it has many isseus clearly not resolved. No one really has a perfect set-up and advocates the "turn a blind eye, she's worth it" attitude.
Getting a bit weary of that as I want maybe waht I can't have.
I love my 748 bip, and thought the R would be a quantum leap - it was motor wise but everything else is not right.

It remains may bikes to many people and is thus fatally flawed.
So, is it best to plum for a 996 or even a 998(?) as lets be honest here, I want a multi role bike.
Funds are not good!

Most of my time might be spent on the track, but if I want to work a bike hard , especially with the fueling, I would be better off on a race bike 4 track days and have 2nd one for the road, which is not the point at all.

Going to bed, my head hurtrs!

Thanks for all the 748R postings - I loved her too, just not enough to think she was worth the extra £.

aws(ome)
Old 10-May-2004, 11:19
Mille
Bikes: ST4S

Mood: Finally gotten over the 748R getting stolen thing. Actually, no i haven't !
I bought a new 2002 R last year after 3 years with a 748bp.
Do it! but make sure its a good one.
I use 65 profile front 207RR and have had the suspension set up by Kais ( £400) Miles better.
The cutting out while slowing down is a technique thing in my opinion, never happens to me.
My clutch action is no heavier than a BP either.
Old 10-May-2004, 11:19
Mille

Mood: Finally gotten over the 748R getting stolen thing. Actually, no i haven't !
I use 65 profile front 207RR and have had the suspension set up by Kais ( £400) Miles better.
The cutting out while slowing down is a technique thing in my opinion, never happens to me.
Old 10-May-2004, 11:42
Mille

Ahhh Keiths posts are inspiring put a smile back on my face

Thanks dude, cant wait to pick it up!

TJ
Old 10-May-2004, 11:47
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by keith_mann1959

400 quid for a suspension setup?!?

Jesus, ws thinking of sending my ohlins stuff up there for a service, but a those prices I might not bother!!!!
Old 10-May-2004, 15:12
Mille

Hi Dj Tera
£400 was for a full day with them.
Re spring both front and rear to suit my weight, the rear end re sprung twice in fact.
Re build with new oil and seals both ends.
I thought it was well worth the cost,prior to this the Ohlins felt worse than my old showa stuff on the BP
Old 10-May-2004, 15:19
Mille

Forgot to say, Re valved to suit as well.

Some dealers you go to to have suspension overhauled will be done by Kais in fact and then have your dealers mark up added as well. When you pay your bill will they have told you that?