Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 06-May-2009, 13:37
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
oil incontinence - a lucky escape

just back from 4 days blasting around Germany.

Whilst away, the following occured, so thought I'd post it in the hope it might help someone else.

About a month ago I had cause to have the oil cooler changed (mounting brackets were fractured - only one still intact).
During the first day of our trip and after about 300 miles I was aware of a very large cloud of smoke behind me. I immediately hit the kill switch and rolled to a stop, at which point a LAAARGE puddle of oil developed under the bike.
on removing the rhs lower fairing it turned out the union onto the oil cooler had undone itself. I know this was tight as I fitted the cooler myself, and had changed the battery the week before, so had rechecked them then too.

Fortunately I had ensured the bike was filled to the max level before leaving, so even with the oil lost it was still around minimum. I did the union up with the only tool that would fit it (pliers - its a 19mm nut and no one had a spanner bigger than 17mm), rubbed a load of dirt on the tyre to help clean it, and took it easy for about 5 miles (my mates are a tough lot )

The entire back of the bike was totally covered in oil, and I know that had I encountered some twisties without noticing, I would likely be in hospital now.

So, morals of the story are:
1 - keep an eye in your mirrors for anything out of the ordinary
2 - if you see anything stop and check, if you don't you might get a surprise
3 - double check ANYTHING you change that could dump oil everywhere, the consequences could be very messy

Fortunately we lived to tell the tale, and all was well for the rest of the trip.
Old 06-May-2009, 13:53
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John W

So, morals of the story are:
1 - keep an eye in your mirrors for anything out of the ordinary
2 - if you see anything stop and check, if you don't you might get a surprise
3 - double check ANYTHING you change that could dump oil everywhere, the consequences could be very messy

4 - Use Lockwire

Sounds like a lucky escape
I have seen quite a few oil cooler unions lockwired before now, quite common practice on race bikes at the TT

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 06-May-2009, 18:41
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
thanks,
I did think about this but the standard pipes are not drilled.

I intend to mark them with a blob of paint, as the unions can be seen through the fairing. At least I can just peek in and ensure nothingh has moved this way. a lot easier than trying to drill a hole through the nut.