WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

102Hp from 2V Dukes !!!

Ohhh Dear, dear me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/shop/heads/heads.html
Old 04-Oct-2004, 12:24
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Errmmmm. Oh dear. Hmmmmmm. $3,200...... Hmmmmmm. $3,200...... Errrrrr.....

Plus labour.

I know I must have it, just not sure exactly where I'll get the cash from... Anyone need a new kidney???

Ali
Old 04-Oct-2004, 13:40
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Yes, I looked at the Sigma Performance page recently where Neil Spalding was taking about some Full Monty work on ST2's.

I spoke to him at TA3 about it and he was talking about a very, very similar specification with porting work done to the heads, a FIM chip, and taking it out to 966cc (I asked him whether it was really worth taking the capacity up a whole 22cc from the standard ST2's 944cc - but he said the pistons are high compression as well). I've obviously already got the ST2 cams.

Neil said that the ST2 engine was the best 2 valver to work on for this stage of tune because, being liquid cooled, it doesn't suffer from the overheating problems on the rear cylinder. The only main difference between CA-cycleworks and Sigmas work is that Sigma would make some airbox modifications (cut holes in it to improve the breathing) and put a lightened flywheel in as well.

Oh yes. The price? About 2K. Very tempting, but ultimately not reall worth doing on a bike that's only worth 3-ish thou as it stands. I think I'd rather put that 2K (when I get it) towards a 749.
Old 04-Oct-2004, 14:37
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
Jools brings up an interesting point. Do you spend the two to three grand on a 2-valve engine and have it produce 100 hp or take the value of your bike and put that £2-3000 towards something newer and "better"?

Other than a 851-888, or possibly an old 70s Ducati I can't think of a bike I'd consider trading my SL in for. It wouldn't help of course that I'd only get a pittance for my somewhat battle-scarred version.

So p'raps including my bike I'd have an outlay of around £3500- max 4000. 100hp, enough torque to pull tree stumps as a part time career and good if slightly slow handling.

Hmmmmmm

Darren
Old 04-Oct-2004, 15:11
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Bang on the mark Darren.

I've been trying to control spending on the SL on the grounds that it's far more natural to save or buy a £3.5k track 916 for the fast stuff, but I don't really want one (having had one already).

I really want a 100bhp 2v duke without any of the water-cooled weight or hassles. The problem is I know it's going to end up costing more than a 749R!

If I did everything I'd like to then it'd be £2.5 on the engine, £1.1k for the front end, £1.7k for BST carbon wheels, £0.8k on the back end, £0.7k on paint........ £6.8k, plus the value of the bike £3k.

Add a couple of Ti/Stainless/Mag bits in there and you're over the £10k mark. I'd have to be pretty damn sure that I'm never selling her to lavish that sort of cash on her.

Having said that I can't imagine a more pleasing bike than a truly sorted SL! .

Cheers,

Ali
Old 04-Oct-2004, 16:53
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
duff duff duff duff duff duff duff duff BANG! hello con rod, what are you doing out here?
Old 05-Oct-2004, 00:45
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Even though $3200 works out at £1794 - its an awful lot of money to justify, without any of the obvious additions that it would need anyway.

I keep on working on getting the suspension sorted - all but - very slowly.

Until the lottery win of course

Frank
Old 05-Oct-2004, 01:07
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
http://www.kaemna.de/cms_en/katalog....seite&seite=27

some more to spend your money on, twin plug conversion anyone
Old 05-Oct-2004, 01:12
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
I had a similar thought process 6 years ago when I had a 900ss-loved it to bits but wanted more power and better handling. I was going to get Chris Clarke to do a 944 conversion with flat slide carbs and a 'nest of vipers' front exhaust. The engine work would have given me the power and the pipes would have allowed me to chuck it into corners without continually grounding out the collector-but the cost was over half way towards the difference to change to a 996-which is what I did. Still love the 2 valve motors though.

John
Old 05-Oct-2004, 03:59
Bevel Head

+100hp would always be nice but i really wonder about the street-ability of such an engine and its longevity.