Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 02-Apr-2013, 15:20

1990 900 Supersport. Should I or shouldn't I?

Firstly, in the style of Dr. Nick, "Hi everybody".

I am a first time poster, I live in Suffolk, I enjoy walks along moonlit beaches and I have fallen for a gorgeous 1990 900 Supersport.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1990-DUCATI-900-SS-CLASSIC-UNRESTORED-EXTRA-CLEAN-WELL-LOOKED-AFTER-/290889412858?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item43ba5c30fa #ht_1015wt_1156

Having done the usual, well travelled route of Jap 4's of varying engine sizes, with a VTR thrown in, I no longer feel the need to own the fastest, sharpest handling, look like everything else, mass produced two wheeled missile that rolls of the yen hungry production line. Phew.

What I do have though is the irraitional desire to buy what I was drooling over when I was 16.

Now I know that these aren't the most sort after or desirable (to some) bikes out there, but to me - I love 'em and if it was just up to me that would be enough. However, the Jap 4 riding Mrs IpswichTony74 needs more justification for ownership than that. And, to be honest I'm struggling to find out much information about these bikes that I can errrm embellish to my advantage.

Now the bike will be used as a toy. The couple of days a week commute to work along back roads (12 miles each way) and the odd weekend ride out (kids every other weekend). Or, more likely, used every day when the weather is nice - so a couple of days a year then!

Seriously though, any infomartion you guys can offer, what to look for when going to look at it (tomorrow), what to expect if I do buy it, UK parts availability, basically anything will be much appreciated.

To those who don't have the time or inclination to check out the ebay link:

1990 'G' plate 900 Supersport
22900 miles
"Loads of history" including the original bill of sale
Last taxed in 2011 - so I'm assuming last ridden in 2011
£2250 - although I do know the dealer listed it on ebay a while back and it only reached just over £1600 and failed to meet the reserve.

Once again, any advice is sincerley appreciated and sorry for rambling on....and on.........
Old 02-Apr-2013, 17:19
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Am I right in thinking that this model had the 16" front wheel - if so tyres are going to be a problem.

I do believe that the 91 version had a lot of updates and changes that might make that a better bet.
Old 02-Apr-2013, 18:20
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

For a slightly lower price the irrational in me would also say - BUY IT!

But head says to ride it first.

Good luck - Frank
Old 02-Apr-2013, 19:38

Unhappy

Thanks for the replies chaps, but sadly I received an email from the shop half an hour before they were due to shut saying it had sold. Oh well,back to spending fruitless days and nights trawling the interweb in the hope that another turns up soon.
Old 02-Apr-2013, 22:44
Bikes: 900SS GS1000s T140E

Hi Tony, I have recently bought a '94 900ss, what a little peach. Handles like a 250, brakes are superb, enough power to get you into trouble, love it to bits. Persist a little longer and get a slightly later model, you'll not regret it.
Old 02-Apr-2013, 23:09
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Welcome Tony!

One of the guys on here, Mark Bayley, had his 750 Sport up for sale which was pretty much the same as that 900 but with the 750 engine and in red and blue. The original advert is here:
http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/sh...ad.php?t=84362

He's recently moved house and I know he still has it so I guess the house moved messed up the sale. The good news he's moved closer to you, and is now in Dedham on the Essex/Suffolk border!

I'll give him a nudge to see if he's still up for selling it...

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 02-Apr-2013, 23:44
GTL

Mood: Been Testing the 3 P's (Pizza, Pasta, & PERONI!)
Thumbs up Hello I'm not dead yet ? LOL

Here I am busy sorting out a new venture ? Wassup !!
Old 02-Apr-2013, 23:50

Hi Mark, I don't suppose by some miracle you do still have the 750 for sale?
Old 27-Apr-2013, 20:54

Hi again everyone. Fingers crossed I hope to get the 750 and I'm really excited about it. However, I'm still looking for a 900 so the missus can have the750 and I get the 900. I've found another but once again would be interested and grateful of any and all opinions.

This one has 24500 miles, servicing has been sporadic (but no history) based on when the bike has been used but it has only covered 3000 miles in 9 years. It was MOTd lat August, but hasn't had the belts changed since 2004. The dreaded Weber carbs are also still fitted, there are some slight cracks around screws near the headlight and cosmetic damage to one silencer and will need a new back tyre soon.

Asking price is 2100 but the chap is open to offers.

Right guys, over to you.
Old 27-Apr-2013, 21:20

I should also add that the MOT had advisories. Fluctuation if brake pressure and slight play in rear wheel bearings