Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 12-Aug-2005, 14:18

Wiring problem on 748BP

Hello
I don't know if anyone has experienced the same problem as this but any help would be appreciated. After having the belts changes I have now got a problem with the electrics, the problem is as follows:
1: The headlights do not work and the rear lights are very dim.
2: When the lights are turned on the temperature guage goes straight into the red.
3: The indicators make the rev counter jump up and down.
4: When the lights are turned on a buzzing noise comes from somewhere.
5: The right indicators work but the left ones just stay lit very dim.
Any ideas would be greatly welcomed.
Cheers 748 ARSE , Scott
Old 12-Aug-2005, 14:34
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Everything is connected by plugs into sockets, so it's very difficult to get things wired round the wrong way.

Take the top fairing off and then take the headlight out - all the connectors are behind there. Check each one and make sure it's not corroded (clean up the contacts with sandpaper if needed) and refit them securely.

The only other thing is that it might have a bad earth, so check all the connectors which bolt to the frame and also the battery connections.

If you haven't got one, get a Haynes manual as this will help you out loads.
Old 12-Aug-2005, 14:38

Thanks Antonye
I have a haynes manual and im guessing an earth problem as well. I will take another look over the weekend.
Thanks for the info.
Scott
Old 12-Aug-2005, 14:42
Mille

Definately an earth fault somewhere, probably earth to the clocks light etc. I would suggest checking the headlight voltages when turned on. You will probably find the +ve side of the bulb is at 12v & the -ve side of the bulb also at 12v as it is not earthing properly. Trace this earth back & this should take you to the fault.
Old 12-Aug-2005, 15:05
500SD

As the problem only appeared after having the belts done, I would first look at all the connections in and around the battery box including all the connectors behind it. The battery box is usually removed to do a belt change.

Also check the main earth strap from the -ve side of the battery to the engine (attaches to engine behind the rear brake fluid reservoir) and that all battery connections are tight.
Old 12-Aug-2005, 15:16

Thanks Neil and Mart
This has only appeared since the belts were changed and it was MOT'ed at the same time ????
I will take the battery off over the weekend, check all the connections and earth strap as you have kindly recommended. Excellent advise, what a friendly bunch on here.
Old 12-Aug-2005, 22:20
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
The battery tray has to come off to do the belts. Depending upon year, there's often an earth strap to the regulator or one of the battery mounts. Check this isn't hanging loose. Check also they've coonected the alternator feed back up to.
There's also a large metal cased multi plug on the frame rail just above the tray. This could have been disturbed?? It's the main link between front and rear looms.