Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Feb-2004, 06:13
Montjuic

Mood: i'm hungry
clutch pushrod removal: how?

i'm getting deeper and deeper into this clutch nonsense, but i need to get it sorted . . . . .

q: how do i get the clutch pushrod out to change the o-rings and check it for straightness etc?

will it come out from the slave cylinder side, or do i have to take the clutch off?

do they normally slide back in easy enough? (no tittering at the back)

i suppose i'll have a massive oil puddle if i just yank it out, so i'll wait until i do my next oil change . . . .

cold canadian beers waiting for he/she who helps me sort this out (must collect in person)
Old 21-Feb-2004, 07:34
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
The easiest way to remove it is from the clutch side.In fact it very often gets stuck in the pressure plate bearng.Just remove the outer clutch cover and then the pressure plate.You can then withdraw the rod.As I said before.it may be stuck to the plate.There should'nt be any oil come out of the engine.I usually lube the rod with a bit of fresh engine oil before I fit it back in.
Old 21-Feb-2004, 09:19
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Agree with Keefyboy. You'll struggle to get it out from the slave cylinder side.
Old 22-Feb-2004, 11:54

Keefyboy is right that it's probably going to be stuck in the pressure plate bearing. If it isn't though, you can get it out from the slave cylinder side by starting to push from the pressure plate side. This way the two little 'o' rings have less distance to travel throught he inside of the shaft and probably have a better chance of not being bu**ered up. Personally, I feel happier reaasembling from the slave cylinder side, not only because of the 'o' rings, but also because I can see that the slave cylider seals are seated properly. I use an Evoluzione slave though. Also, I would be careful lubing the push rod when you put it back. you don't want loads of oil floating around the basket and pressure plate.
Old 22-Feb-2004, 17:14
Montjuic

thanks guys. all great advice
Old 23-Feb-2004, 06:24
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Also, I would be careful lubing the push rod when you put it back. you don't want loads of oil floating around the basket and pressure plate.

Oops yes,what I meant to say was,I smear a little oil on the 'o' rings to help them slide through the engine.Oil splashing around a dry clutch is not good.
Old 09-Mar-2004, 21:24
Montjuic

came out no problems from either side - thanks all!

btw: if you're fitting a post 1999 clutch slave cylinder to an earlier bike you also need the longer pushrod that goes with it