Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Mar-2011, 20:51
Mille

Mood: building the beast
I've been applying clear to the frame today. Was gutted that i got a run on one of the tubes though. I also came up with a way to hang the frame up so i sprayed the clear in one go all over. When i've sorted the run i'll give it another coat of clear. Not too much orange peel either so pretty happy.
Old 14-Mar-2011, 14:19
Mille

Well the run is now gone and i've started putting stuff back on. Cant wait to get the swing arm and subframe done so i can get the engine back in.

Old 20-Mar-2011, 16:37
Mille

No new pics at the moment. Went down to Ducati Leeds last weekend with the intention of spending about £3. Went home with £170 worth of stuff lol.
Old 22-Mar-2011, 22:26
Mille

Today i stripped down the swing arm ready for painting. Got a friend to use his air tools to undo the nuts. Made it far quicker.
Old 23-Mar-2011, 14:30
Bevel Head

Dear Chris

I think you bought this bike from me? I lived in a flat in Ware, Herts at the time. If this was mine I'm over the moon to see her back. Had a real lump in my throat when I read of your crash.

I've got a 2005 749s now and still love it.

Good luck with the rebuild, and keep the updates coming.

Regards

Mark.
Old 23-Mar-2011, 19:35
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSO 749s
Dear Chris

I think you bought this bike from me? I lived in a flat in Ware, Herts at the time. If this was mine I'm over the moon to see her back. Had a real lump in my throat when I read of your crash.

I've got a 2005 749s now and still love it.

Good luck with the rebuild, and keep the updates coming.

Regards

Mark.

Hey Mark i think it was. I came down with my girlfriend to get it. It was a brilliant bike and its hurt me every time i;ve looked at it sat in the garage looking unloved. Today i took the wheels down to NB Coatings in Pontefract to be powder coated satin black.
Got these from the bay to tart them up when they get back.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
In red. Also these
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The bearings that came out of the front wheel are in pretty good nick and feel ok. Am i right in saying that they should be replaced anyway?

Also got some primer on the swing arm :0)

to

I'll paint it black over the next couple of days. Took ages to mask everything up.
Old 24-Mar-2011, 18:18
Mille

Looking good in black!

Old 27-Mar-2011, 10:39
Big Twin

As a principle I would replace all the bearings if I was you.
I had my swingarm powder coatted black as well and replaced all the bearings in there too.

One tip on this though the needle bearings won't go in easy and if you hammer them in you are going to bugger them up. I figured a way by cooking the swingarm in the oven on 150C whilst leaving the needle bearings in the freezer for 24Hrs. Went in like a hot knife in butter though the missus asked what the heck I was cooking in the oven...
Old 27-Mar-2011, 15:26
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by pguenet
As a principle I would replace all the bearings if I was you.
I had my swingarm powder coatted black as well and replaced all the bearings in there too.

One tip on this though the needle bearings won't go in easy and if you hammer them in you are going to bugger them up. I figured a way by cooking the swingarm in the oven on 150C whilst leaving the needle bearings in the freezer for 24Hrs. Went in like a hot knife in butter though the missus asked what the heck I was cooking in the oven...

Yeah i was thinking as much. Not sure i'd get away with putting it in the oven though lol. Whats the feeling about these?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ducati-748S-74...em3f030 e80cd

They are very cheap but does that mean nasty?

Got the wheels back. They look ace! I've even put some stickers on. Red stripes to come

Old 29-Mar-2011, 12:54
Mille

The red wheel stripes turned up toady. I was worried about how hard it would be to apply these but it didn't take very long and was pretty easy. Only a few tense moments trying to sort out a small crease when the strip stuck where i didnt want it. I've even got enough spare to re do one side if i wanted. Hope you all like them. I'm happy!